What makes Palm Sunday so special?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hey everybody,

When I was in church today during the Liturgy for Palm Sunday, a question popped into my head. What's so special about this day that they made it one of the seven major feasts? Every major feast has something to do directly with our salvation, but I don't see what Palm Sunday has to do with our salvation. All Jesus did was enter Jerusalem. What does this have to do with our salvation, and what is so important about it that it is one of the seven major feasts?

Also, I have another question. Why did the people in Jerusalem accept Jesus in that manner on that day? Was that the first time Jesus entered Jerusalem, and so that 's why everyone was so excited?

Thanks and God bless

Comments

• Just to answer part of your question that i know (the rest i too am unsure). One of the reason's palm sunday is so important is because it fufilled a prophecy in the old testament that the messiah would enter jesusalem on a donkey and would be welcomed by the people.. The fact that it happened was one of the ways that Jesus is identifiable as the messiah..

Good luck with finding out the answers to your other questions..

Rabana Maak wa Christos Anesty!!

Matt
  • When I was in church today during the Liturgy for Palm Sunday, a question popped into my head. What's so special about this day that they made it one of the seven major feasts? Every major feast has something to do directly with our salvation, but I don't see what Palm Sunday has to do with our salvation. All Jesus did was enter Jerusalem. What does this have to do with our salvation, and what is so important about it that it is one of the seven major feasts?

Very briefly, the significance of Palm Sunday relates to Christ’s Messianic function to save the world. He had entered the city of Jerusalem many times before, but this time He entered the city as King, Messiah, and Saviour, prepared for the rejection of His people, and the suffering and death that awaited Him for the time for such things to pass and for the prophecies to be fulfilled, had finally come.

Why did the people in Jerusalem accept Jesus in that manner on that day? Was that the first time Jesus entered Jerusalem, and so that 's why everyone was so excited?

If you remember correctly, the day before Palm Sunday is Lazarus Saturday. The raising of Lazarus from the dead was a huge and unprecedented event, and news of this event spread far and wide. The Jews in Jerusalem probably interpreted this glorious miracle as a sign that their long-awaited Messiah had finally come. They were correct; but when The Christ failed to fulfill other false pre-conceived ideas concerning the function and person of the Messiah, they quickly rejected Him soon after, calling for his death.
  • Just to add to that...
    For your first question, beside that the Jews finally seeing the Lord as the Messiah, it has a much bigger symbol to us, and that jesus is entering our Jerusalem (our heart), and it's our choice to accept him to be King over our heart or not. And this is related to our Salvation in the way that if you accept Him in your heart, he can save you, which later happens when He was crucified and which will later happen when we experience the same thing on Good Friday.
    To the second question, when jesus entered Jerusalem, he entered as the King of Kings, but what the Jews were actually after is a materialistic king who could free them from the Romans. They haven't found the materialistic part of him, and later the same people who were crying Hoasana when He entered Jerusalem, were now crying crucify Him only 5 days later.
  • Just to clear up the main question, it's Jesus' entry into Jerusalem, and because of that, we need to honor him, he is [glow=red,2,300]VERY SPECIAL[/glow], I can't really get bigger than that, you should know what I mean, but, everyone knows that we can all benefit from the words of our Lord, trust me, it's very valuable, and especially the parables!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent