100 kirie eleysons

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hey everybody,

Can someone explain the reason for saying 100 kirie eleysons in all four directions during Good Friday? Also, what's the reason for saying 10 kirie eleysons in the east (I think it's 10, I'm not sure) that we say after saying 100 in each direction?

Thanks and God bless.

Comments

• first you say a 100 for every diraction (north south east west). and with kerie leisons there should be matanias. and it just resamples how should ALL people of the earth (from every direction) should bow down and worship christ anf his crucifixtion. because with it, death was ablished from the world and the door of paradise were open once again for every rightous person to enter.
  • [glow=red,2,300]I think this a great topic. It's really sad for me too, CopticServent. I always think about how we was crucified and then everyoen starts crying and then you feel like crap inside. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Sorry for language. Anyways, I still don't get why we do those kyrialaisons.
    [u]

love lots,
    CopticChica21[/glow][/u]
  • wow!!! u actually ya c.s. do the kneeling during the matanias??? :o danah ya binty if i kneeled twice, i'll need a CPR done on me!!! ;D ;D ana delwa2ti el self esteem beta3i has gone down 10 notches ba3d i knew u bow during the kyrie eleisons... :'( bas... it's ok ya3ny... it's ok... i'm not sad or mad awo ay 7aga!! :-[ >:(

lol
  • If I'm not mistaken it's 50 towards the east for Mother Mary

thats impossible we dont do matanias for saints matanias is a sign of worshipping and we don worship saints we ask for intercessions bas rit?

and about the monks in the earlier days would do matanias for each other it's like shaking hands or a sign of humbleness so in this case it's not worshipping

so we shouldnt really do matanias to any1 so thr's no misunderstanding

God bless
  • Actually it's possible...as you mention in that case it's not a sign of worshipping...and monks still do matanias to each other...it's 100 on each side ( so that's 400) and 50 for praising saint Mary not worshipping.
  • but we dont praise some1 by bowing down to him

and monks do it as saying hi not praising each other
  • No monks don't do it as a way of saying hi..
    If you ever read "bostan el rohban" (can't remember the english name for it now), you will see that they do that if someone is mad at someone and that other person is asking forgivness from the other monk...then they do matnias to each other.
    How do you know that we don't praise someone by bowing down to them?
    Even the pope, priests always bow down to him? and what's St Mary compare to the Pope...?
  • yea yea i agree

but i saw in saints movies 'st john the short in certain' that he'd do matanias to monks whenever he sees them that's y i'm sayin it's like a humble way of saying hi
  • [quote author=filobateer link=board=4;threadid=3610;start=0#msg52294 date=1144637004]
    wow!!! u actually ya c.s. do the kneeling during the matanias???

Tab3an bah kneel during the matanias, of course I love to, it's so much fun, but I kind of get nauseous everytime I bend my head down, I get sick and headaches!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • that's y u should do it when u r fasting 'enkta3y' so like in the morning be4 u eat nethin otherwise u might throw up lol (thts what abouna told me)
  • It's not about throwing up...matnias are only done when you are fasting with no food...You can't do matnias when you are not fasting...that's why in the prime prayer in the agpeya there is a section that says let us worship....etc...you are suppose to do matnias on those because you haven't eaten yet..and this prayer isn't in the other prayers..and same thing goes to the Morning Pascha...there is a section in there for matinas...I don't remember what the priest says...but you can't find that in the evening pascha.
  • [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=4;threadid=3610;start=0#msg52447 date=1144794209]
    It's not about throwing up...matnias are only done when you are fasting with no food...You can't do matnias when you are not fasting...that's why in the prime prayer in the agpeya there is a section that says let us worship....etc...you are suppose to do matnias on those because you haven't eaten yet..and this prayer isn't in the other prayers.

I never knew that before, I always pray prime, and if I run out of time, because my ride for school is here, I finish quick, thanks for telling me that, I actually never heard of that!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • So why do we say 100 kirie eleysons? Where did 100 come from? During the agbeya, we say 41 for the 39 whips that Jesus received plus 1 for the crown of thornes and 1 for the spear. So y don't we just say 41 in each direction instead of 100, which makes more sense because these were things that happened to Jesus on Good Friday. Where did 100 come from?
  • i think it's sumthing to do with revelation that all ppl'd bow down to HIM from all directions?