How to ask for intercession?

WMAWMA
edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi everybody, I apologise if this topic offends anyone or anything like that.

I was wondering how we are meant to ask for intercession from Saints and stuff like that. I'm not too sure when it's appropriate to ask for intercession, for example when should I ask for the intercession of a Saint or whatever, and when should I just go directly to God, and I'm always unsure about what I should say. Has anyone got any information on this they could provide for me since I am not terribly familiar with it? Thanks

Peace and Blessings,
WMA

Comments

• Hey WMA,

I apologise if this topic offends anyone or anything like that.

Nothing to apologise for my friend; feel free to ask whatever you like. I have confidence that your intentions are genuine and honest, so don't hold back. :)

I was wondering how we are meant to ask for intercession from Saints and stuff like that. I'm not too sure when it's appropriate to ask for intercession, for example when should I ask for the intercession of a Saint or whatever, and when should I just go directly to God, and I'm always unsure about what I should say. Has anyone got any information on this they could provide for me since I am not terribly familiar with it? Thanks

There are no restrictive conditions upon which you may ask for the intercessions of a Holy Saint. They are agents of Christ, living in the eschaton with Him, and readily available to intercede on our behalf, and to assist us through His Grace.

Notice that we do not directly pray to the Saints, as if they are the ultimate object of our prayers, but rather we ask for their prayers. I'm not sure if you have attended a Divine Liturgy yet; if you have, you would have noticed that the Deacons always chant what is known as “The Hymn of the Intercessions” before the reading of the Pauline Epistle. Here are the first four stanza’s of this hymn:

English: English transliteration of the Coptic:

Through the Hiten ni presvia ente ti
    intercessions of the The-otokos: Ethowab
    Theotokos, Saint Mary, Maria: Ep Chois: ari
    O Lord, grant us the ehmot nan em pi ko
    forgiveness of our sins. evol ente nen novi.

Through the Hiten ni presvia ente pi:
    intercessions of the shashf en arshi-angelos:
    seven archangels and nem ni tagma en ep
    the heavenly orders, ooranion: Ep Chois: ari
    O Lord, grant us the ehmot nan em pi ko
    forgiveness of our sins. evol ente nen novi.

Through the prayers of Hiten ni evki ente na
    my masters and fathers, chois en yoti en
    the apostles, and the Apostolos: nem ep sepi
    rest of the disciples, ente ni Mathitis:
    O Lord, grant us the Ep Chois, ari ehmot nan
    forgiveness of our sins. em pi ko enol ente nen novi.

Through the prayers of Hiten ni enki ente pi
    the beholder-of-God Theorimos en
    the evangelist Mark the Evangelistis: Markos pi
    apostle, O Lord, grant Apostolos: Ep Chois:
    us the forgiveness of ari ehmot nan em pi ko
    our sins. evol ente nen novi.

To listen to this hymn being chanted (streaming), click here for the version chanted by HICS, or here for the version chanted by Canor Ibrahim Ayad (I personally like the latter solo better). Or you can just directly download them from the site if you wish.

As you may notice from this hymn, we directly address the Lord, through the prayers or intercessions of His Saints. The order of Saints addressed in this hymn is not arbitrary – St Mary always comes first, for she is higher than the heavenly hosts; then come the Archangels, followed by the Apostles, Martyrs, Confessors, Fathers and Saints.

In saying this however, we do on occasions directly address the Saints, in particular St. Mary, asking for their assistance, or even asking them to save us! We must note however, that even though they are the direct object of such requests, they are being asked to respond to our requests in a derivative sense. Notice that the Bible itself testifies to the fact that even the living can save others in a derivative sense: "Let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins" (James 5:20). The Lord remains our sole primary Saviour – there is no conception of St. Mary, or anyone for that matter, as “co-redemptrix” in Orthodoxy.

I add the following excerpt from an article advocated by the British Orthodox Church (which is of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate), to complement my above answer:

“But though we honor [St. Mary], as Scripture foretold ("All generations will call me blessed," Luke 1:48), this doesn't mean that we think she or any of the other saints have magical powers or are demi-gods. When we sing "Holy Theotokos, save us," we don't mean that she grants us eternal salvation, but that we seek her prayers for our protection and growth in faith. Just as we ask for each other's prayers, we ask for the prayers of Mary and other saints as well. They're not dead, after all, just departed to the other side. Icons surround us to remind us of all the saints who are joining us invisibly in worship.”

Source: http://www.britishorthodox.org/whatlike.php

• There are no restrictive conditions upon which you may ask for the intercessions of a Holy Saint. They are agents of Christ, living in the eschaton with Him, and readily available to intercede on our behalf, and to assist us through His Grace.

Ok thanks for that information I greatly appreciate it :).

Notice that we do not directly pray to the Saints, as if they are the ultimate object of our prayers, but rather we ask for their prayers. I'm not sure if you have attended a Divine Liturgy yet; if you have, you would have noticed that the Deacons always chant what is known as “The Hymn of the Intercessions” before the reading of the Pauline Epistle. Here are the first four stanza’s of this hymn:

Unfortunately no, I haven't attended a Divine Liturgy, hopefully I will sometime in the near future.

To listen to this hymn being chanted (streaming), click here for the version chanted by HICS, or here for the version chanted by Canor Ibrahim Ayad (I personally like the latter solo better). Or you can just directly download them from the site if you wish.

I listened to the second one I think it was and think it sounds great :D

In saying this however, we do on occasions directly address the Saints, in particular St. Mary, asking for their assistance, or even asking them to save us! We must note however, that even though they are the direct object of such requests, they are being asked to respond to our requests in a derivative sense. Notice that the Bible itself testifies to the fact that even the living can save others in a derivative sense: "Let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins" (James 5:20). The Lord remains our sole primary Saviour – there is no conception of St. Mary, or anyone for that matter, as “co-redemptrix” in Orthodoxy.

Thanks for clearing that up, greatly appreciate it :)

Again, thanks heaps for the information, I really appreciate it. Thanks.

Peace and Blessings,
    WMA