Keeping the Sabbath

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I presume that likie other Christians, Coptics "keep the Sabbath" by attending their church on Sundays. But what if a Coptic attends another church on one Sunday, like a Catholic parish for example? Is this a valid "keep"?

Comments

• Please explain NC, I don't seem to get your point very well, do youy mean, is it as in to go to another Church on sundays?

Defender
  • Yes, I'm asking whether Coptics may visit a church of another denomination to fulfill their Sabbath duty.
  • We don't have a cerytain "Sabbath Duty", a Person must confess every 3 weeks and and have Communion at least once a month! There is no duty to be fullfiled because it depends on you and how much you wanna know God and how close you are to Him!
  • Posted by: Defender! Posted on: Today at 06:26:36pm
    We don't have a cerytain "Sabbath Duty", a Person must confess every 3 weeks and and have Communion at least once a month! There is no duty to be fullfiled because it depends on you and how much you wanna know God and how close you are to Him!

I am sorry Defender, but we do have a duty to keep the sabath. These duties include partaking in the holy communion, accomplishing the sacrament of repentance, and there are many others.

As far as keeping the sabath, a Coptic may fulfil this by attend one of the following Orhtodox churches, to partake in the holy communion: Coptic, Eritria, Greek, Russian, Armenian, and I'm not sure about Catholic, but I think so.
  • I know that the Jewish keep their sabbath day REALLY WELL. I'm talking about their going to extremes to make sure that they're free for saturday. We do the same thing in a way because we're not allowed to do any "heavy" task on sunday so as not to break the sabbath. That was what I was told anyway. ;D

sleepy
  • one question NC, why would u want to go to another church? ???
  • "As far as keeping the sabath, a Coptic may fulfil this by attend one of the following Orhtodox churches, to partake in the holy communion: Coptic, Eritria, Greek, Russian, Armenian, and I'm not sure about Catholic, but I think so."

Peter, if I may correct you on one point. The Coptic Church is in full Communion with the Syrian, Eritrean, Ethiopian, Armenian, and Indian Churches. The Russian and Greek Churches are not yet fully in communion with the so called "non-Chalcedonian" Churches. The Catholic Church allows any Orthodox christian to recieve in the Church, but some Orthodox priests won't allow it. Please ask your priest if he has any problem with it before you go. As far as the Syrian Churches are concerned, for the most part the Catholic and Syrian Churches do allow intercommunion.
  • Hey Mike,
    Thanks for the clarification. You're right, however I do believe that the Russian and Greek churches will allow us to partake in communion. However our church does not allow them to pratke in a "coptic" communion.
  • Well egyprincess, I happen to be a Catholic. And I might be the only one here, in fact. ;)
  • your not NC, I am too.
  • I still don't get it, what do u mean by keeping the sabath??

How do I, as a copt, keep the Sabath?

Defender
  • Defender,
    Keeping the sabath, means that you devote the Sabath (day of prayer) to God. In the Jewish faith, they do not work, cook, clean, do anything that involves labor or money. But for us, keeping the sabath implies that you devote your heart to God. We should always be keeping the Sabath, in the sense that our hearts are with God at all times. Also, we should partake in the Holy Communion and participate in the sacrament of repentence. So, that is what the Holy Coptic Church, defines as keeping the sabath, for its congregation.
  • i agree with u Peter, but isn't that going to be hard if ur doing other things. for me, its a big problem
  • whats going to be heard?
  • if your doing other things, anything, wouldn't be hard to try to focus on God also. hope this makes sense :-\
  • Hey Princess,
    It is hard, but with devotion and a strong will it can be done. I am the worst at doing this, but we have to remember to put God before anything. That is the true way to keep the sabath, everyday.

I hope that made at least some sense.
  • it did Peter, but as u said, its hard to do.