Speeking Coptic

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey all,
I haven't been in in a while. Does anyone know any sites, where I can learn the Coptic language (to speak fluently) thanks, Peter

Comments

• hmmm...speak fluently huh? That's a toughy cuz Coptic is pretty much extinct except for use in the church. I strongly and highly doubt there is somewhere you can learn to speak it fluently, and if there is such a place, what good would it do you? You would be one of a select few (probably around 3 in the world) who know how to speak it fluently. Good question though. Very intriguing. Sorry I wasn't much help.

Good Luck and God Bless,
    - Chris
  • Question: Why doesnt our church take a few steps in attempting to revive the Coptic language so we may be able to use it once more on a day to day basis? i mean how... awesome would that be!
  • Do you really think that could happen SMS?
    I agree it would be great, but that would take a lot of effort from all the churches and their priests. lol.

sleepy
  • lol, i know, but it'd be amazinggggggg! :D
  • It wouldn't be practical. Not at all practical or possible. Good idea though.

- Chris
  • You would be one of a select few (probably around 3 in the world)

Not really, i remember last time the pope came to the american east coast we had a "party" for him and and abouna came up and made a whole speech in coptic, then translated it to arabic(and trust me, it was llllloooooonnnggggggg!!!!! by the end, my legs were so sleepy from sitting on the floor in front of the pope i could barely stand at the end.)
  • Wow.....I wish I could hear something like that. The only truly long coptic thing I've heard is the liturgy for St. Shenouda's feast.

sleepy
  • hmmm...speak fluently huh? That's a toughy cuz Coptic is pretty much extinct except for use in the church......

no no no no no...not at all. there are still many people working to revive the language, and if you are looking to learn how to speak the language fluently, try joining the yahoo group "Remenkimi".

go to groups.yahoo.com and sign up and find that group and join it. all the members send eachother emails everyday asking questions and many things about the language, and you will be able to view all those emails. and also, usually everyday (or maybe it skips a day or 2) somebody types up a long email all in coptic. if your smart, try to translate that email with all the small words in it. give it a shot if you like. but yea, there are people that still speak the language very fluently, and there still are a few families in egypt that coptic is their native language stilll.
  • that's pretty impressive. thanks for the correction Paul.

In Brotherhood,
    - Chris