The easter lent

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,
im just wondering if anyone knows when the easter lent starts and finishes. Also does anyone know the exact rules (are we allowed milk, fish, eggs and so on?). And lastly does the greek orthodox church follow the exact same lent as us? shukran keter wa rabana maak...
matt

Comments

• Matt:

According to the tasbeha calendar - it begins Feb 27th - as Easter Sun April 23. Hope this helps and as for the other questions I am sorry - I would also appreciate some help on that !!

God Bless

Ger
  • The Greek Orthodox Church begins their fast on the 27th of February as us, however their first week (i.e. from 27th of Feb - 4th of March - known as "Meatfare week") is not a strict fast for they are allowed dairy products, eggs, and fish - meat being the only prohibited food product of that week.
  • thanks for your help. OK, so i guess that after the 'meatfare week' we cant have eggs, and fish and so on? Also, does anyone know exactly what day the lent ends? Thank you so much for your help again.
  • Are u coptic?
    We have no such thing as meatfare week if u are coptic...
    The fasting begins the 27th of Febraury. You are not allowed to eat any animal products or even fish for the lent period. The lent period is 55 days which means it will be ending Sunday April 23rd, and the last week of the lent is the Holy Week. I don't know anything about the Greek Orthodox Church...but I guess Iqbal just answered that.
  • Yes i am coptic, but i havent really dont a lent before... The reason i was asking about the greek orthodox church was because i have a greek orthodox friend and we both decided that we would do the proper easter lent this year... I was just looking to get the guidelines and so on of it. Again thanks to everyone who helped :) Rabana Maak
  • OK, so i guess that after the 'meatfare week' we cant have eggs, and fish and so on?

Meatfare week pertains to the Greek Orthodox custom, and not to ours. We, the Copts, follow a strict fast from day one, refraining from all dairy and meat (including seafood) products.

Congratulations on your decision to fast this time around; may God give you the strength to endure, and the blessings in response to your efforts.