Where did the tounias originate?

I know this sounds geeky, but where did the tounias originate?

Comments

• Andrew Saad,

It is embedded in the Holy Bible and in the tradition of the Apostolic Church.
    God showed Moses among many thing, what the priest should wear during their service in the tabernacle. In the Book of Revelation, the 24 Heavenly Priests around the Throne of God wear the same cloth “Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and seated on the thrones were twenty-four elders, clad in white garments, with golden crowns upon their heads.” Rev. 4 : 4

• That being said...we too replicate the depiction of the Saints and Angels in heaven, for the Liturgy, and all the players involved in the Liturgy (deacon, priest, bishop), reflect the eschatological Liturgy, and in fact link us to it. Deacons are representative of the Angels in heaven, the priests are representative of the Apostles in heaven, and the Bishop is representative of Christ. As such all wear white garments.
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=4;threadid=3185;start=0#msg47490 date=1139451649]
    Deacons are representative of the Angels in heaven, the priests are representative of the Apostles in heaven, and the Bishop is representative of Christ. As such all wear white garments.

Iqbal I have one question. If the Bishop is the representative of Christ, then what would the Pope be?

Please forgive me and pray for me,

Godhelpme3691
  • If the Bishop is the representative of Christ, then what would the Pope be?

The Pope is nothing more than a rank of Bishop. The Pope according to the Coptic Orthodox understanding, is simply a Bishop who is the primate or the presiding Bishop of the Coptic Patriarchate. He is not considered supreme to other Bishops, but rather he is the first among equals.

This Orthodox understanhding of the "Pope" stands in stark contrast to how the Roman Catholic Church views her "Pope".
  • Thank you for clearing that up Iqbal.
  • what if a bishop is not present at a liturgy?
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=4;threadid=3185;start=0#msg47554 date=1139522430]
    what if a bishop is not present at a liturgy?

what do you mean by that? what exactly are you asking for? ??? ??? ???
  • Well, Iqbal said that the deacons are representatives of the angels, the priests the apostles, and the bishops Christ. I am asking what if there is not a Bishop present during a liturgy?

[quote author=Iqbal link=board=4;threadid=3185;start=0#msg47490 date=1139451649]
    That being said...we too replicate the depiction of the Saints and Angels in heaven, for the Liturgy, and all the players involved in the Liturgy (deacon, priest, bishop), reflect the eschatological Liturgy, and in fact link us to it. Deacons are representative of the Angels in heaven, the priests are representative of the Apostles in heaven, and the Bishop is representative of Christ. As such all wear white garments.
  • The enactment of the Divine Liturgy does not require the presence of a Bishop; it simply requires the presence of a priest. Remember that Christ passed down His own authority to the Apostles, so the priests still act with the authority of Christ.
  • i know that monk tonias came from ST.Anthony...
  • yes...when the angel of the lord appeared to him and revelaed to him how to dress as a monk
  • yes thats what i am talking bout...thanks mazza :-*