Intercession

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I was just asking about what are the verses in the Bible that say we should intercede, this question is just so that when any other denmoniation starts attacking us with the "there is no saints nor intercession", what do we reply??

In Christ,
[move]Mike[/move]

Comments

• hi
    Here are some verses
    Gen 20:17 , Job 42:7-10 , Exit32:12-14 , Effisians6:18-19 , James5:16 , Rev8:3-4.
    May that help u.
    Pray 4 me.
  • May we benefit from the intercession of the Saints at all times. If anyone has more verses, please post them!

In Christ,
    [move]Mike! Mike! Mike! Mike! Mike! Mike! Mike! Mike![/move]
  • quick verse..
    "Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. " Romans 8:27

we figure if we make intercessions through those that He Himself makes intercessions for, then surely He will appeal to them..
  • That verse is AMAZING! Thanks so much, further posts are welcome!

Defender!
  • Hey guys, no more posts??? :(

Defender!
  • [glow=red,,300]Happy Pentecost!!![/glow]

The Bible says to love one another (John 15:12). Do we stop loving our brothers and sisters just because they are not with us physically? Do they stop being members of the Body of Christ? St Paul says this well :

14For in fact the body is not one member but many.
    15If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body," is it therefore not of the body? 16And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body," is it therefore not of the body? 17If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? 18But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased... 1Corinthians 12:14-18 NKJV.

The dearly departed in Christ ares till part of the Church!! Death doesn't amputate them form the Curch which is the Body of Christ! Our Lord Jesus Christ says that God is the God of the Living not of the dead:

32"I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'?[3] God is not the God of the dead, but of the living...(Matthew 22:32 NKJV)"

So based on this, we see that those righteous in Christ who in paradise (The Church Triumphant) show their love for us by interceding for the rest of the Body of Christ on earth (The Church Militant). In the Bible we also see glimpses of heavenly intercession:

2And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and to them were given seven trumpets. 3Then another angel, having a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne. 4And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, ascended before God from the angel's hand....(Revelation 8:2-4 NKJV)

9 When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. 10And they cried with a loud voice, saying, "How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?" 11Then a white robe was given to each of them; and it was said to them that they should rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, was completed...(Revelation 6:9-11 NKJV)."

Plus, all baptized in Christ share in the priesthood of Christ :

1 Peter 2
    "9But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light."

Thus when we pray for one another we are exercising that Priesthood in Christ Jesus. What does a priest do?
    He intercedes for his people to almighty God:

1 For every high priest taken from among men is appointed for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins. 2He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness...(Hebrews 5:1-2)

Well. I hope this helps . Please pray for this big sinful gamuz.Moooooooooo!
  • Interssion:
    I) Redemtive Intercession:
    1) Belongs only to Christ.
    2) He intercedes for our forgivness though His redemptive work (iNcarnation, Crucifexion, Death, resurrection, asscension to the heavens, and sending the Holy spirit).
    3) "Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. " Romans 8:27

II) Supplicative Intercession:
    1) The intercession of all the saints, and angels, and most of all St. Mary, the Mother of God.
    2) It is only praying for us and asking God on our beha, "And pray for one another" (St. James 5:16).
    3) St. paul used to ask peple to pray on his behaf, "Pray for us" (2nd Thes. 3:1, Hebrews 13:18).
    4) " Praying alwyas with all prayer and supplication.... for all the saints and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly" (Eph 6:18-19).
    5) The intercession of our father Abraham for Sodom and Gomorah (Gen. 18:23-32).
    6) the story of our father Abraham and abimalek the king (Gen. 20:1-7).
    7) Lot intercession to the angels not to destroy the city of Zoar (Gen. 19:18-22).
    Jacob called on the angel's intecession for blessing (Gen. 32:26).
    8) Moses interceded for his people brfore the Lord God of Abrham, Isaac, and Jacob (Exodus 32:22-13).
    9) Moses interceded ofr Miriam his sister (Numbers 12:10-13).
    10) Samuel intercede for his peolpe till God saved them from the Palestininas (1st. Sam. 7:5-12).
    11) Job interceded for his three freinds (Job 42:7_9).
    12) David interceded for his people (2nd Sam. 24:17-25).
    13) Archangel Micheal interceded for Jeursalem (Zecharaiah 1:12 -16).
    14) Arcangel Raphael interceded for Tobaiath (Tob. 12:17).
    15) " And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and to them were given seven trumpets. Then another angel, having a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne. And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, ascended before God from the angel's hand....(Revelation 8:2-4)
    16) Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty four priests fell dwon before the Lamb, each having harps and incensors full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints" (rev 5:8).
    17) God got angry with Solomon and declared that he would dib=vide his kingdom but not in Solomons time for the sake of his father David (1st Kings 11: 62-63).
    18) God said, "For I will defend this city, to save it for My own sake, and for My servent David's sake" (2nd Kings 19:34).
    19) the Psalmist said, " For your servent David's sake, do not turn away the face of Your anointed" (Psalm 132:10).
    20) God accepted the intercession of Moses on behaf of His people (Exodus 32:11-14).
    21) When the plague was spreading between the people Moses ordered Aaron to make atonment for the people and God accepted the intercession (Numbers 16:47-48).
    22) Elijah interceded for the son of the widow of Zarephath (1st Kings 17:21).
    23) Samuel intercession on behalf of the people of God (1st Samuel 12:23).
    24) St Pul intercede for Onesiphours (2nd Timothy 1:16).
    25) st. John asks us to pray and interced for the sinners (1st. John 5:16).
    26) St. Paul asks the believers to interced of his behaf (Rom 15:30).
    27) St. Paul, inspired by the Holy Spirit, commands all to, "Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving thanks be made for all men. For kings, and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior" (1st. Timothy 2:1-3)
    Pray for me

• Hey Ilabib,

God bless you for your sacrifice of time,
    '
    My Priest said something very similiar to that before, the problem in our Youth is that a huge some of us are shaken by Protestant theology since that's the school the majority goes to.

Mike
  • Ilabib,
    How do you know all this? I mean, God bless you for all your knowledge, it just seems you have the official Coptic view on every topic which is AWESOME!!!!

God Bless you,
    - Chris
  • People, these are awesome verses and examples...i was always struggling trying to convince protestant people that intercessions are according to the bible, but i could never find an actual verse to prove it...thnx a lot :D
  • I am wondering if any of you can help me out. I am looking for verses in the bible where Jesus specifically talks about us asking the saints to pray for us. I know it is very hard, but maybe someone can help.

Here is an example of one but I need more:
    "Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her." (Mark 13:9)

Thank you in advance

Yours in Christ:
    Avvaantoni
  • [glow=red,2,300]In Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. The One True God. Amen[/glow]

AvvaAntoni... some of the verses quoted by some of the brethren on this thread uses the word "saints". Biblically it referred to ALL Christians and many "Bible-believing" Protestants will say this referred to believers here on EARTH not the DEAD. Like in Ephesians 6:18, quoted by Ilabib previously, in point 4 of his comment:

"...praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints ." (NKJV)

The Greek word here for saints is Hagios (Strong's Concordance Def. 40) which means "holy" or "morally blameless" or "physically pure", "most holy one or thing".

So if we keep this in mind that they will tell u "saints" biblically refers to Christians on earth we can show them to "run with it" that it also includes those Christians who have departed this earthly life. My comment in this very thread explains the very Orthodox (thus Biblical) teaching of the Communion of Saints. A believer doesn't stop being a member of the Body of Christ once they depart this earthly life! Read 1 Corinthians 12:14-18 within this context. Its in this very thread.

The Lord Jesus says God is the God of the Living not of the dead (Matthew 22:32) those who are in Christ are alive in Christ. The Lord Jesus Christ gave us the Commandment to love one another ( John 13:34)... praying for each other is a way of following this commandment and does this mean this stops when a believer enters paradise? Does he forget about those struggling here on earth? The Lord Jesus gives us a glimpse with the story of Lazarus the beggar and the rich man (Luke 16:19-31). We see the rich man interceding for his brethren on earth! Plus the Lord Jesus says we have Guardian Angels protecting us and interecession is a form of protection (Matthew 18:10) which connects with Hebrews 1:14 which tells us that angels are here to serve us.

I hope this helps and i didn't confuse you more.... ;)..lol! God Bless you.
  • Thank you Boricua_Orthodox for your contribution, It was helpful, but what I was looking for in specific are the direct words of Jesus saying something about intercession. I know that there are many indirect messages, but I was looking for direct ones. Thank you again and God bless

Yours in Christ:
    Avvaantoni