Who listens to arabic music?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Hi, ;)
Im new to the forum and am an australian copt. Anyway here's what im wondering, who here listens to arabic music? yarni music by amr diab, ehab tawfik, hakim, nawal al zoughby etc. I mean i know that soo many copts see arabic music as haram (and personally i think thats silly!) and a lot dont like arabic music just because most artists are muslim. so what do people here think? does anyone here go to see the stars when they have the haflas here?? I mean last year i saw ehab tawfik at a sydney hafla, and it was so disappointing that here is an egyptian superstar and there were virtually no egyptians there, mostly lebanese fans!! i personally think (and no one get offended!) that egyptians were to stingy to pay the money to see him.. even more obvious were that of of few egyptians that were there, apart from me, there were no copts!! very strange! so what are all your thoughts?? :)

Comments

• Hi,
    Im new to the forum and am an australian copt.

WELCOME...

know that soo many copts see arabic music as haram

we are not the religion of haram and halal... we use these words... but we shouldn’t... we are Christians... you could say inappropriate... you can say not the best for spiritual growth... but don’t say haram... it's not much of a Christian word...

lot dont like arabic music just because most artists are muslim

I've never met a person who was like that... I don't like arabic music... and it's not because they are Muslim, or what not...

that egyptians were to stingy to pay the money to see him.. even more obvious were that of of few egyptians that were there, apart from me, there were no copts!! very strange! so what are all your thoughts??

I wouldn’t waste my money on a concert either... I'd rather go buy some Dave Matthews and John Mayer CDs... but I think its all about the taste of the people's singer... they don’t like that singer that much... than why go...

I dislike Arabic music... even though I like the older songs... but the recent songs I just don’t like... listen to sayed darweesh... he is awesome...
  • i actually have started a thread like this under random issues and rf_zachari stated some really nice points: Why would you want to listen to something that brings you away from god? You may not notice it, but it affects you subconiously. Its more useful for you to listen to taraneem and tasbeha than it is to listen to ehab tawfiq and nawal el zoghby.... and you cant say you get sick, there's enough to last you a couple of lifetimes

i thank rf_zachari for that pursuasive reply and here I am writing it again...lol
  • Personally, i LOOOVE arabic music...it's all I ever listen to! prefferably cuz its cleaan (doesnt have anything inappropriate, like the araf songs we have here) I've went to a few concerts (amr diab and nancy 3agram) and i thought it was pretty coool! I dont really feel obligated to "show my support" tho....I went cuz i liked them; not cuz I felt we had to cheer on our 'fellow Egyptian singers'

But Honestly, i think most Egyptians dont go to these things cuz its $ 80.00 + to get inn ;D. . .i dont think its a personal issue of religion or discrimination or what not...just cuz Egyptians r cheap! ::) :P ;) They'd rather stay home (save the gas money) and watch it on their A R T! (save ticket money!) ;D
  • [quote author=Maryann23 link=board=13;threadid=1984;start=0#msg30027 date=1120231025]
    But Honestly, i think most Egyptians dont go to these things cuz its $ 80.00 + to get inn ;D. . .i dont think its a personal issue of religion or discrimination or what not...just cuz Egyptians r cheap! ::) :P ;) They'd rather stay home (save the gas money) and watch it on their A R T! (save ticket money!) ;D

hey now... why not save Gas money... I pay thirty bucks.. and up for gas... a week.... so thats three weeks worth of gas... that I would waste... and if sayed darweesh, and abd el haleem, and om kalthoum could come back from the dead and make a concert I would go... even if it was a thousand bucks... but now the songs are not so great... so why waste my time, and money...
  • I love any songs that is just good and sounds good to me....arabic songs are like the best among that...it's all what i listen to now...maybe u just go with the mood and listen to what ur mood is making u listen to. I love all arabic singers..new one that is...old ones don't interest me that much...but still i wouldn't pay for concerts to go listen to them...ya maybe i am hooked to them...but i just wouldn't waste my money to go see him/ her sing...i can get all the songs i want free or even pay a couple bucks for a CD....so it's not a matter of we don't support them...lol...ya egyptians are cheap.
    From my oponion...i don't see anything wrong with the wrods of any of the arabic music...they are clean as Maryann23...i would listen to arabic music all my life but none of those rap songs...they just disgust me. ya i knw everyone is gonna be like...just listen to hymns and spiritual song...but there is nothing wrong w/ listening to both y3any...i use to listen to spirtual songs and only that...now i listen to all....maybe because i changed...but that doesn't make me a bad person...or does it?
  • Actually.....I just recently got into Arabic Pop. I personally like Algerian rai the best.....I like Rachid Taha and Khaled. But I know there's at least one Christian Arabic Pop singer: Dania from Lebanon, who I believe is a Maronite.

And I think, morally speaking, the lyrics of Arabic pop music is about the same as watching a Disney movie....and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Try comparing that with trash like Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson, who reveal 90% of their flesh to millions of TV watchers.....even while claiming to be "Christian"!
  • my phone is filled with arabic songs... abdel haleem, um kulthoum, nancy agram, fadel shaker, amr diab, lembi,and a lot more. if you guys want the website ican get it for you american and egyptions ringtones.. peace!
  • abdel haleem, um kulthoum, nancy agram, fadel shaker, amr diab, lembi,and a lot more.

okay... abd el haleem, and um kalthoom, are should not be placed among the other singer... YES! they are that good... lol

if you guys want the website ican get it for you american and egyptions ringtones..

yeah... that would be cool... pm it to me...
  • i used to listen to hani shaker and abd el halim and there were like a little bit of mostafa amar, but now i dont know. people are saying that if it doesn't bring you closer to God, dont do it. Abouna is saying as long as your not obssessed, its not bad. I am about to go crazy. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • You have raised many interesting points.
    Firstly, the Coptic church does not welcome enjoyment. Living proof of this comes at 'Agapy' after church and especially evident after main feasts such as Christmas and Easter. You might want to ask your local priest about his views with regards to say having a ‘Dinner Dance’ function. The reality of the situation is that the church believes that through enjoyment and pleasure one might commit a sin or a wrongful act that may conflict with its believes naturally distancing you from Christ.
    I listen to Arabic music for I love music and also like to associate with some of my roots. Listening is different from dancing. I am not a woman but I do feel that it may be inappropriate for a Christian woman to dance to Arabic music where perhaps parts of her body are revealed. Even when I danced I have never really ‘let myself go’ and made a fool of myself.
    As for nationalities, my grandmother was Lebanese. I was fortunate enough to have visited Beirut back in the days when it was full of Mercedes and Pegouet cars alongside the best red apples on earth. Certainly the Lebanese know how to have a good time that includes also spending.

P.S. This is my 1st posting.
  • Ok im a girl and I DO NOT dance... that isn't the issue here. my problem is with music.
  • hmmmm... the thought that cause arabic music doesnt bring you closer to god is a bit strange, because to be realistic one cannot seriously spend every second of their free time in prasise to god (i mean it would be great if we could) and even then it would lead to extremism which then then becames exactly the same as muslim fundamentalists who refuse to listen to music and stuff etc. i mean if ppl become so set in their mind that they are right and that we need to be closer to god at all costs well then they became exactly the same as the muslim fundamentalists who want to destroy the egyptian musuem and the pyramids cause the ancient egyptians believed in other gods etc.. from when i was young i was told that we need to spend 10% of our day doing 'christiant things' that help us get close to god (even things like visititing a sick friend, reading christian books etc) and the other 90% of our time we do can do other things like a job, uni, or whatever. the way i see it is that arabic music is something that can be listened to do in out 90% of the time, fahement?and back to the arabic artists thing, well there are losts of christian arab singers - nawal al zoughby, diana hadded, wael kfoury, dania, elissa etc. and constantine is right in also saying that at haflas perhaps women should not be dancing if they reveal their body etc, which is true, but women can still dress respectively and have fun without looking cheap, i think the when women dress and act cheap its because they are not this rubbish they claim that they're not cheap, but that's how they feel comfortable out..and for the ppl who really enjoy arabic music all i can say is do try and see the singers when they come because you get soooo much out of it! i mean when i saw ehab everyone got to meet him afterwards, you can talk to him get autographs and everything! i mean how often do you get the chance to talk to a western star after a concert ---- never!
    Ciao for now :)
  • Apologies if I have offended you in any way by giving you the impression that my comments and views were directed to you personally.
  • here are the websites just to let all of you know these websites are for the phones listed here...... t-mobile,sprint. okay for egyption www.rannat.com and american www.3gforfree.com.... i hope i helped all of you.. and these are all free by the way :D!!!
  • Constantine, you offended me in no way, i just wanted to get back on topic (lol)
  • ok i obviously didn't read all of wut u guys wrote but i think arabic music is the bomb.. ok?? now let me get this straight.. ur like not sure if arabic music is haram?? well if thats the problem then NO ITS SOO NOT.. i mean like ppl might say o listen to like taraneem or wutever but u kno wut.. i accually don't really care wut they say.. i mean i listen to both taraneem and songs.. so wut?? i mean if i'm wrong correct me but i mean i honestly don't think there is anything wrong w/ it.. i love arabic music and thats all i care abt.. and um kalsoum sux big tym.. sorry for those that like her.. i don't.. i like abd el haleem.. he's awesome too.. and bishoy.. who's sayeed wutever he's last name is?? ok i seriously don't think i've ever heard of him.. alright laterzz :-*

Rina :-*
  • who's sayeed wutever he's last name is??

sayed darweesh... only one of the Greatest Egyptian singers... lol... you are not egyptian if you dont know him... lol ;D
  • "and a lot dont like arabic music just because most artists are muslim"personally that's stupid okay if you didn't listen to arabic music because the artists are muslim i can say that you will never listen to arabic music(i hope you get it)
  • i have never heard anybody say they dont like arabic music because they're muslim. I guess by that your saying you don't like them because they're not christian. In that case, you're gonna end up not listening to music at all.
  • thats what i meant because all all the artist are muslim!
  • by music at all i mean all languages, english, arabic, everything. because here in America, lets just say singers dont have religions.
  • yeah that right but they say christian but there is no way! ::)
  • what do you mean singers do not have religions here in america?? i mean it is a good question but i am lost!!
  • i mean singer in america dont follow religions. they're like athiests, no god, no rules
  • that they are almost christian but do they do to church?no..
  • no, like eminem and fifty cent and people like that... you think they know what god even means??
  • okay thanks i understand now!!!
  • ofcource no.......
  • yes eminem and 50 and ludacris they do not know god at all!!!
  • thats what we just said!