The PASSION

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hey,
Who here has seen the movie the passion it is so sad, if you haven't seen it go rent the dvd or even buy it immediately it's so sad and it's done by the famous director Mel Gibson and I hope everyone has seen it because I love that movie and it's my favorite movie of all times all the americans, mexicans, and even french, and egyptians saw it at the movie theatre and it was awesome it made a bundle because it was such a good movie it took about 20 years to make the movie and the person who was the role of christ got electrifed from the lightening during the movie and it was so sad, the part about the devil that was weird because they made the devil bald and such but it was an awesome movie you would cry anyways and st. mary was good in it and I saw it twice well, I would like to know if you saw it or not and what you thought of it!

God Bless

*Nansy*

Comments

• hey i have seen this movie and well i heard that they were making another one and it is going to be more sad and more torture and everything!!!!! anyways this movie breaks my heart!!!! :'(
  • hey, i watched the passion of the christ 8 times....it is such a sad movie, and each time i watched it i was more and more thankful of jesus dying on the cross for us to save our sins...its such a sad movie, but i still loved it! but if you havent watched it before i really recommend you to watch it...it will help you see how painful it was, and you will see how lucky we are that jesus died on the cross for our sins! its defenitly sad, but i loved it!

**mariam**
  • i think ive seen it bout 15 times. its truly the best movie ive ever known. everytime i see it, i still cry. just to show the complete love our saviour had for us sinners, to suffer such pain and to undergo the most excrusiating death is just ... words cant describe it :-[
  • yeah i love to watch that movie but sooooooooooooo sad!!!! :'(
  • I’ve seen it, about a few hundred times now… I like it... but I think its over done… in the blood, and the torture…
  • My dearest brothers and sisters....first of all, I am very proud of our mother church outside Egypt...how it hugs and cherishes all its children...and how they grow in Christ under her loving care, as inside Egypt....

Let me tell you Pope Shenouda's response to this movie....he said, but I do NOT quote his exact words but his meaning, that this movie has something very important missing in it....in this movie. we expertly saw SOME of the terrible pains our Lord went through...("some" because we may never imagine the psychological pains), BUT....in this film we never saw the Lord Jesus in his Glory....on Tabour Mountain, in raising Lazaros from the dead, and so on....not to say that the film didn't have any indirect references, but WE AS CHRISTIANS know them...others don't....

Besides....what's to it that we see the Lord sufferings ONLY, more than 15 times by some accounts!!! Would you like to see UR father going through the same things 15 times?! THAT'S UR LORD! I think if we watch this film too much, we sort of are used to it khalass.....which isn't correct!

What's more important is to LOOK AT OUR ROLE IN THIS, as the Lord said to the women of Jereusalem....He told them not to cry over Him...BUT OVER THEMSELVES, and thus us too!

What's the point in crying over some of what the Lord expreienced, and not reap over the fruits of what HE did...none the less fruits for which we did not work for, as He said!

What are these fruits? Well....the church and its sacrements and our "gehad" meaning fight to reach the Lord in the end (as Saint Paul says, "Our war is not with seen enemies of flesh...but with unseen ones")...a fight in which the Lord blesses us immensly...then and only THEN will we realize, to our human capacity, what the Lord TRULY did for us, and simultaneously understand and stick to what we should do....although of course, this is a long story, but I hope I have made my point clear...

Pray for me as I pray for u all.....

RFZ
  • [glow=red,2,300]"Let me tell you Pope Shenouda's response to this movie....he said, but I do NOT quote his exact words but his meaning, that this movie has something very important missing in it....in this movie. we expertly saw SOME of the terrible pains our Lord went through...("some" because we may never imagine the psychological pains), BUT....in this film we never saw the Lord Jesus in his Glory....on Tabour Mountain, in raising Lazaros from the dead, and so on....not to say that the film didn't have any indirect references, but WE AS CHRISTIANS know them...others don't...."[/glow]
    that's what my priest told me about this movie!!
  • well, yeah thats true...but I think Mel Gibson's aim was to strictly focus on the PASSION of christ..it was to portray the physical pain he endured while giving us salvation. I think if he would have captured Jesus in his "glorious" times it would have distracted the people from fully understanding just how much PHYSICAL pain and torment our Lord Jesus truly endured on the cross.
  • well if the movie ends by the death of christ, so other reliogns can say that he did not rose from the dead!!
  • i own the movie, it didn't affect me spiritually at all, i think it wouldve been more benficient if it showed Jesus's life from the begginning and showed his teachings. But it was a very good movie, very high budget.
    -nader
  • that movie is very sad to me!!!!! :'( :'( :'(
  • [quote author=nadertossoun link=board=11;threadid=1917;start=0#msg29211 date=1119311795]
    i own the movie, it didn't affect me spiritually at all, i think it wouldve been more benficient if it showed Jesus's life from the begginning and showed his teachings. But it was a very good movie, very high budget.
    -nader

i totally agree- after i saw that movie, it changed me spirtually
  • Hey guys,
    Yea i saw the movie too, and sandrahanna ur right. Pope Shenouda did say that the movie shows all the pains, but doesnt show the lord's glory. He said that to a person who isnt chrisitian or doesnt know about christ at all, this movie just shows that the lord was a week, normal human. But its still a good movie, it has to be if they sell it in my church.

-Pete

• As much as I hate to admit it, i sincerely disagree with the pope's perspective. I see the movie as a wake-up call to all Christians, reminding them of all the pain Christ endured for us. As for his glory, we all know, and anybody who doesn't and wants to know can check it out at any church. I personally looove the movie; I cried when i saw it. It's really sad and gives us a really good idea of all what Christ went through just because of us.
  • so true
    it gives u this emotional feeling deep inside. an u ask urself, my saviour and my lord did that jus 4 me??? i am not even worthy to mention his name and he was slaughtered like a lamb for the whole world to see and carried the sins of every being to save me from eternal suffering. it truly is touching
  • You guys are right, but the thing is, it doesnt show his glory at all. It just showed his torture, even at the end, when they showed him risen, they focused on the holes on his hands, and not the light that was probably shining from him at that moment. To us, its a good movie because we understand the lord's glory, but to an average non-chrisitian, this movie mya make them consider our religion a joke.

-Pete
  • I saw the movie twice in the cinema and have two copies on DVD (one I bought and one that was a gift).

Personally I love the movie. I also like the Aramiac speach in it. It was the first time I had come across the langauge - amazing how much of it is similar to Arabic.

We had a lot of problems here in England when the film was first launched. What you have to remember is that Jews run much of the media in this world (Rupert Murdok, Alan Suger, the list is endless). These people do not want to see anything that would affect their faith or increase others. So we have the initial attack of saying that it was too violent (you know the old violent argument!!). Well as this was a subjective point and we all know that Jesus suffered much more than a film can ever show, the media were stuck for that for every person they produced taht verified its violence there were others that could counter act this. So they decided to complain that scenes where the devil would be walking amoungst the Jews portrayed Jews as evil and as the devil - this argument is comonly know as the by 'association' argument. Anyway this was never resolved and the film carried on.

When viewing the movie I think we have to be clear that the film only highlights the last few hours and not Jesus's life from begining to end. We all have flash backs and thoughts ofthe past. I personally complement the director for he brought sufficient amounts of this in Jesus's last few hours before cruisifiction. It would be unlikely that a person would recall their entire life's in a day, plus the film may have to be called something else as it would concentrate of Christianity and not the last day.

An excellent film that will permanentlyt be in my collection and gets viewed regularly. Certainly has pushed Gold Finger into 2nd place !!
  • I am a very sensative person and i just saw some pix of the movie online and i started crying...i cant see the movie or the whole theater would be full of water from my tears...i want 2 c the movie but i just cant watch someone beating our savior like that...its terrible!!! I know maybe his point was to show us the torture he went through but i just cant watch that!!
    [move]Monica[/move]
  • I totally understand what you mean Monica101. I too got very emotional when I saw it to the extent where I nearly had an asmah attack. Just imagin what it could have been like for those on lookers then.

I still recomend that you get a chance to see it. Get somebody to sit with you and then perhaps they can direct you away from sceens that may been to dounting for you.