Mother of God, Titles, Symbols, Prophecie and relevant church hymn..

edited June 2005 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I would like to start a new thread “ Mother of God, Titles, Symbols, Prophecies of the Old Testament and the relevant Church hymn“concerning her.

I invite everyone of the Orthodox Church to share in this topic as a fragrance aroma for their love to the Virgin Mary.

Try to choose either Title or Symbol or Prophecy [glow=red,2,300]one at a time [/glow] and write it in bold followed by your chosen words underlined to match the thread “ Orthodox Church Father’ Quotes “.

Comments

• Title

Theotokos

In prayer Virgin Mary is called Theotokos which in Greek means Mother of God, since the One who was born from her was at the time of conception and always will be the true God.
  • Prophecy

I shall put enmity between thee and the Woman, and between thy seed and Her Seed" (Genesis 3:15).

The very first promise concerning the Redeemer, heard by our fallen ancestors Adam and Eve, contained a prophecy about a special Woman. God said to the devil: "I shall put enmity between thee and the Woman, and between thy seed and Her Seed" (Genesis 3:15). It should be noted that during the time of the Old Testament the progeny were always called the seed or descendent of a male parent. Only here is the Redeemer-to-Come referred to as the Seed of the Woman, and this was the first indication that He would have no human father.
  • Prophecy

The universal exaltation of St mary, as the blessed Mother of our Saviour:

(Luke 1)
    My soul doth magnify the Lord, 47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. 48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. 49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. 50 And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. 51 He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. 52 He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. 53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. 54 He hath holpen his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; 55 As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever.

• Prophecy/Ttitle

St Mary's perpetual-virginity / The Sealed Eastern Gate

"This gate shall be shut, it shall not be opened, and no man shall pass through it, because the Lord, the God of Israel, has entered by it, therefore it shall be shut. It is for the prince, the prince himself shall sit in it..." Ezekiel 44:1-3

"This sealed Eastern gate is a figure of St Mary's perpetual virginity. For the Lord alone entered her womb, and this gate was never opened to another; its seals were not broken." - Fr. Tadros Malaty

In this effect the Coptic Church sings the following him: "Ezekiel witnessed and told us: I have seen an eastern gate. The Lord, the Saviour entered it, and it remains shut as it was before." [Psalia (Adam) for Sunday]

• Symbol

Jacob Ladder

The Mother of God is the bridge or ladder between heaven and earth through whom the Word of God became flesh. By her obedience the heaven is opened again and the Angels of God are coming down to help us and going up with our prayers to represents us in front of the thron of God. Virgin Mary opened the door of heaven to us after it was closed due to Eve's disopedience.

To this the Coptic Church sing the following hymn:"You are the ladder seen by Jacob, which is fixed on earth, It rose very high to heaven, and the angels were descending on it!" - Theotokia of Tuesday

• Symbol/Prophecy

The rod of Aaron - St Mary baring Christ without the seed of Man

(Numbers 17: 7-12)

And Moses laid up the rods before the LORD in the tabernacle of witness. 8 And it came to pass, that on the morrow Moses went into the tabernacle of witness; and, behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi was budded, and brought forth buds, and bloomed blossoms, and yielded almonds. 9 And Moses brought out all the rods from before the LORD unto all the children of Israel: and they looked, and took every man his rod. 10 And the LORD said unto Moses, Bring Aaron's rod again before the testimony, to be kept for a token against the rebels; and thou shalt quite take away their murmurings from me, that they die not. 11 And Moses did so: as the LORD commanded him, so did he.

This is both a symbol and a prophecy. Just as the rod of Aaron didnt need any watering or planting and still sprouted, as we sing in the midnight hymn of [coptic]<ere ne Maria[/coptic], also St Mary bore Christ without the seed of Man. So this was a symbol of her giving birth, and a prophecy of her baring Christ as a virgin.

[coptic]<ere ne Mariia ][rompi e;necwc ;yetacmici nan `mV] pilogoc.

N;o te ]hriri `nte pi`c;oinoufi ;yetacviri ebol qen `;nouni nIecce.

Pi`sbwt `nte `Aarwn etafviri ebol ,wric [o nem `tco `foi `ntupoc ne.

W ;y`etacmec P=,=c Pennou] qen oume;mi a[ne `cperma `nrwmi ecoi mpar;enoc.[/coptic]

Hail to you Mary, the beautiful dove, who gave birth to, God the Word for us.

You are the flower, of incense, that has blossomed, from the root of Jesse.

The rod of Aaron, which blossomed, without planting or watering, is a symbol of you.

O who gave birth to Christ, our True God, without the seed of man, and remained a virgin.

"You are truly more superior than Aarons rod, You are full of Grace, what is the rod but Mary!? The rod is a symbol of her virginity. She conceived and brought forth the Son of the Most High - The Word Himself - without human seed".

- Theotokia of Sunday -
  • Hos Erof, Great Post.

Actually I love the whole Sunday theotoky, they talk about the tent and what it stands for. It takes about the symbols of Virgin Mary in the tent (the dome, the ark, etc...)
  • thnx coptic boy, i agree, that sunday theotokia is amazing:
    we should write a part about all the symbols that are included in the theotokia, preferably with the specific txt :)
  • titles/symbols ?

Theotokos
    Lampstand made of pure Gold
    The Golden Censer
    Aaron’s Rod
    The Burning Bush
    The Eastern Gate
    Tabernacle
    The Overlaid Ark
    The Golden Pot

• Symbol

The Virgin

Long generations waited for the birth of this Virgin, so that the fullness of the time would become complete by her (Gal.4:4)...........
  • Title

The Queen

At Your right hand stands the queen" (Ps. 45:9). That is why, many artists, when they draw the pictures of the Virgin, they put a crown on her head, and she appears in the image, on the right
    side of the Lord Christ.
  • Prophecy

The Virgin excels all women in her eminence

For that reason, the divine Intuition said about her: "Many
    daughters have done well, but you excel them all" (Prov. 31:29). It is probably from this divine text, that the song of the Church was taken: "Many women have obtained honors, but no one of them obtained like you"
  • Prophecy/ Title

The Virgin

Many centuries after our fallen parents had given the promise of the coming of the Redeamer from the seed of a women, the prophet Isaiah added important details to this first prophecy of Genesis. He said that the Woman, Who will give birth to the Messiah-Emmanuel, will be a virgin. "God Himself shall give you a sign," explained the prophet Isaiah to the disbelieving descendants of king David, — "the Virgin shall accept into her womb and bear a Son, and shall name Him Emmanuel, which means: God is with us" (Isaiah 7:14). Even though the word "Virgin" did not seem right to the ancient Hebrews, since a birth without fail conjectured conjugal cohabitation, they did not dare to substitute another more "appropriate" word, for example, "woman."
  • sorry guys i didnt c this topic

Symbol

Noahs Dove

Genesis 8:11)
    “The dove came back to him in the evening, and behold, in her mouth a freshly plucked olive leaf.”

This refers to the beautiful dove that gave birth to the Prince of Peace (Jesus Christ)

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!
  • Symbol

The Bush

(exodus 3:2)
    “And the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a fire out of the midst of a bush; and he looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed.”

This refers to the virgin st Mary who bore the fire of Godhead and was not consumed and her virginity was kept. This also refers to the unity of the Lords Humanity is One with His Godhead withought mingling, without confession, nor alteration.
    (In this, the church says in her hymns of praise: you are the bush that Moses saw burning yet not consumed and Godhead did not consume your body.)
  • symbol

Aarons censor

(Numbers 16:46)
    “And Moses said to Aaron: take your censor, and put fire therein from the alter, and lay incense on it…”

The censor of pure gold is Virgin st Mary and the ember stands for the bush that Moses saw in the wilderness, the bush was on fire. The bush refers to Blessed Virgin St Mary the mother of Light who bore the fire of Godhead in her womb for nine months without being harmed.

The incense (the Godhead) is our High priest who offered himself as a sacrifice and an acceptable oblation on the cross, the scented fragrance that spread is the nativity of Jesus Christ and His preaching to the world.
  • symbol

the ark of testament

(Exodus 25:10-11)
    “and you shall make an ark of acacia wood; two cubits and a half shall b eits length… and you shall overlay it with pure gold, within and without shall you overlay it..”

The wood that never rots refers to her perpetual virginity; overlaying it with pure gold within and without, refers to the purity of the virgin St Mary and to the fact that the Lords divinity and His Humanity never parted.
  • symbol

the Jar of Manna

(Exodus 16:33)
    “And Moses said to Aaron, “Take a jar, and put an omen of manna in it, and place it before the Lord, to be kept throughout your generations.”

Virgin st Mary is the gold jar of manna. She carries the mental manna, the Bread of Life.

• prophecy

Isaiah 19:1
    Another prophecy is, “Behold, the Lord is riding on a swift cloud and comes to Egypt.”
    Therefore the cloud is the Virgin St Mary
  • symbol

danial's dream

(Daniel 2:34)
    “As you looked, a stone was cut out by no human hand.”

The stone that was cut out by no human hand refers to Jesus Christ who was born of the virgin St Mary, the everlasting mountain, without human seed. His kingdom will replace the fourth kingdom. This kingdom will never be destroyed and shall stand forever.

The church says: you are the mountain Daniel saw. The stone that was cut from a mountain by no human hand and filled the whole earth is Jesus Christ.

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!!
  • Title

Second Heaven

Heaven is the House of God, wherein He dwells. The Theotokos by carrying in her womb the incarnate Word of God, she became the Second Heaven.

In this effect the Coptic Church sings the following hymn " You became a second heaven on earth ,O, Theotokos for from you shone on us the Sun of Righteousness. " Theotokia of saturday.
  • Title/Model

Model of the dwelling of God in man

" And the angel said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God." Luke 1:35

The virgin was a model of the dwelling of God in man…… so that Jesus Christ may not only be with us but also in us. This demands a higher level of purity and a higher standard of piety. No one could reach that level except st May the Virgin…… but we are all invited to reach that level so that we may be like the Virgin St Mary a dwelling place for Jesus Christ…… not in a symbolic way but in a practical way. He dwells among His people, abides in them, and be their God, and we become His people and His beloved.

• Title / Prophecy

City of God

The Virgin is also surnamed "the city of God": The prophecy in the psalm is realised in her: "Glorious things are spoken of you, O city of God" (Ps 87:3). Or what was said of her "the city of the great King", or certain prophecies which were said about Jerusalem, are realised in her..........or Zion as it was also said in the psalm: "And of Zion it will be said, "This one and that one were born in her; and the most High Himself shall establish her" (Ps. 87:5).

• Title / Prophecy

The gate of life, the gate of deliverance

Because she was that gate from the East, she was qualified as:
    The gate of life, the gate of deliverance: It was said about our Lady the Virgin in the book of Ezechiel: "As for the prince, because he is the prince, he may sit in it to eat bread before the Lord; he shall enter by way of the vestibule of the gateway, and go out the same way" (Ez. 44:3).
    Since the Lord is the Life, then she is the gate of the Life. The Lord
    said: "I am the resurrection and the life" (John 11:25). That
    is why the Virgin is the gate of the Life, that gate out of which the Lord came out, granting life to all those who believe in Him.......

It is not astonishing that we surname the Virgin "the gate",
    because the Church also was surnamed "the gate". Our father Jacob said
    about Bethel: "How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven" ( Gen. 28:17 )
  • Surname

The Mother of the true Light

as regards her motherhood to the Christ our Lord, The Church names her as the mother of the true light.
    Considering that it has been said of the Christ our Lord, that He is "the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world. " John 1:9
  • Title / Prophecy

The Bride

She was also called "the bride" because she is the true bride of the Lord of glory. The word of the Lord in the psalm was realised in her: "Listen, O daughter consider and incline your ear; forget your own people also, and your father's house; so the King will greatly desire your beauty; because He is your Lord, worship Him" (Ps. 45:10-11). That is why she was called the friend of Solomon, who is the virgin of the Song of Songs.

It was said of her in the same psalm: "The royal daughter is all glorious within the palace; her clothing is woven with gold. She shall be brought to the king in robes of many colours" (Ps. 45:13-14).
  • Title

Our Mother

Also we say about St. Maryr: "Our mother the Holy Virgin". When the Christ our Lord was on the Cross, He said about that to his disciple the beloved saint John: "Behold your mother" (John 19:27).
  • http://ca.geocities.com/tamgeed/B-STMARY-13.htm
    i guess that all the names and symbols(thats what i think)thats for the people who read arabic!!
  • safaa i am sooo sorry i can't open my pm folder but i checked it from msn anyways your welcome!!
    keep me in your prayer!!
  • Title

Our New Eve, 2nd Eve

The Church calls St. Mary, "the mother of all the living", "mother of the New Life", and the "Second Eve". Eve, through her disobedience to God, obtained only death for her children, and became the mother of the dead. Her daughter, St. Mary, through her faith, obedience and humility, became through the Holy Spirit, the mother of "Life". She offered to Adam's children the "Tree of life" to eat, and thereby live forever.