The nature of Christ

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I believe as the Coptic Church does about the nature of Christ.  As I was thinking about Christs nature and the virgin birth I thought of another question that wanted to hear others thoughts.

Why is Adam called the father of sin if Eve was the first to sin?  Was it because Adam was born with the sinful nature or was just because he was the first man or was Adam even born with a sinful nature?

Comments

• [quote author=jerry link=topic=13133.msg154246#msg154246 date=1333624860]
    I believe as the Coptic Church does about the nature of Christ.  As I was thinking about Christs nature and the virgin birth I thought of another question that wanted to hear others thoughts.

Why is Adam called the father of sin if Eve was the first to sin?  Was it because Adam was born with the sinful nature or was just because he was the first man or was Adam even born with a sinful nature?

Adam is not called the "father" of sin per se.  "By one man sin entered into the world" Romans 5:17 is not speaking so literally so as to make a distinction between Adam and Eve.  Indeed, the two are often lumped together in conversations about the fall (this isn't anything dogmatic or anything, just the way that Orthodox and non-Orthodox generally talk about this).

Adam was not born with a sinful nature, nor are any of us born with a corrupt/sinful nature.  Human nature is not inherently sinful, rather it is good, just as everything which God created is inherently good (or maybe "was", in the case of the Devil/demons, but I am not precisely sure).  Rather, we are born with a corruptible nature - and after the Fall this became more of a tendency to sin rather than merely the ability to sin.  This is deeply theological so maybe someone would like to correct me on minor details, but that is the general gist of it.
  • When we read Genesis carefully, we find that Adam was the one entrusted with the commandment not Eve. Adam was supposed to be the guardian of God's commandment sine God spoke to him directly and warned him of not sinning.

Eve took the commandment through Adam. Since the two became one flesh, though Eve sinned first, Adam was responsible for Eve and did not succeed in keeping Eve from sinning.
  • The progenitor to Mankind.  The husband is the head of the wife.  He takes the label.