Diluting Holy Water

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I know this might sound random, but:
Is it an Orthodox concept to dilute holy water with normal water, so as to increase the amount, but not decrease the "holiness".
When I say holy water, I mean that which comes from the unction of the sick, the liturgy of the water, and, I guess, the liturgy.

Comments

• [quote author=qawe link=topic=13122.msg154130#msg154130 date=1333446107]
    I know this might sound random, but:
    Is it an Orthodox concept to dilute holy water with normal water, so as to increase the amount, but not decrease the "holiness".
    When I say holy water, I mean that which comes from the unction of the sick, the liturgy of the water, and, I guess, the liturgy.

we always do that home.
  • Yes, I myself do this all the time when a priest comes and pray on the water at home. If we do not have enough water for all the people to drink, we simply dilute it.
  • It used to be tradition to take the water from the lakkan home, use, add, and return to add to following year's lakkan.
  • That is what they do when they run out of the Holy myron.
  • Not so sure that includes the Myron. The holy Myron can only be touched by the priest. And the patriarch has to make new myron. Maybe some of the other oils used in baptism (I forget the Coptic names for them) can be replenished by adding. Maybe ILSM or someone else can clarify.
  • Maybe ILSM or someone else can clarify.

Sorry, I called dibs on ILSM in another thread. You can have him after me.
  • Fine I have dibs on Fr Peter responding here. And while we're at, I think I have dibs on Fr Peter's wisdom from now on.  :P
  • Rem,

I was referring to the process not the distribution.
  • I would also consider it normal and acceptable to add blessed water to a larger container at home to sanctify the whole, as it were, if fresh blessed water were not available.

When I have baptised adults I like to add a little water from the River Jordan to the baptistery. I know this is not the same thing, but it sort of is.

My understanding is that when the Holy Myron is consecrated the remains of previous quantities are added, such that the Myron I have in my Church has some elements from ancient times, although I'd not want to say how ancient.
  • Father Peter, I sent you a pm, did you get it?
  • The Holy Myron is the essential Oil in the Holy Sacraments and for consecrations.

It is derived from the spices that were placed on the Body of the Lord as He was entombed by Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus (both being Pharisees, both being disciples, both from the originating sect of Judaism in the belief of the afterlife).  The oil is from the jars that the women that brought them forth, after the Sabbath, to anoint the body; finding The Holy Body to have Risen.

The Apostolic Tradition accounts for the mixing and cooking of the two elements.  Amounts were sanctioned for each Apostle and they are carried forward to the Apostlic Churches/Sees.  As the amount decreases, the Primate/Patriarch of a given jurisdiction, will convene the Rite for the making and cooking of the Holy Myron.  From the old stock of the Holy Myron, oil is added along with spices, to make for a plentiful supply for the needs of the Church.  His Holiness would personally measure and prepare the spices and the actual mixing.  After the Myron is made, it is placed into bottles for distribution.  The vessels in which the Myron was made are warm rinsed with oil.  The rinsings is placed into bottles and is known as the "Oil of Joy" (Ghaliloun)--which is used in the Catechumen portion of the Rite of Baptism.

No Deacon of any rank has the right to touch the Holy Myron; this includes trying to carry it with a veil, box, or tongs.  It is unacceptable in any way shape or form, and only in the most dire of emergencies such as the attack of pagans or the burning down of a church.  A priest cannot give absolution for a deacon to touch or carry the Holy Myron.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=13122.msg154159#msg154159 date=1333483074]
    Fine I have dibs on Fr Peter responding here. And while we're at, I think I have dibs on Fr Peter's wisdom from now on.  :P

I think I'm going to cry.