PRAY For Pope Shenouda III

edited December 1969 in Prayer Requests
Guys please pray for H.H. ! Sayedna just went through an operation (which thankfully was a 100% success :) ) But H.H. is still ill ,a day of prayer has been scheduled to pray for our Shepherd on March 8th, 2012. Remember our Father in your prayers!

Comments

• Duly noted; Thank you Je Nai Nan. I will pray for our Holy Father.
  • Is His Holiness feeling better, any updates on their health?

May God be with them
  • [quote author=Thanks be to God Always link=topic=13005.msg153064#msg153064 date=1331748699]
    Is His Holiness feeling better, any updates on their health?

May God be with them

I heard he is doing a lot better now. There are rumors that St. Mary performed a miracle, but they are not confirmed and even if it is true, I highly doubt they will be. Besides, rumors like that spread in Egypt easily out of nowhere.
  • I heard that too. Someone said they're showing on CTV that HH had cancer and St. Mary removed it. Is that true?

• [quote author=TITL link=topic=13005.msg153086#msg153086 date=1331775060]
    I heard that too. Someone said they're showing on CTV that HH had cancer and St. Mary removed it. Is that true?

I did not see it on CTV, but I doubt it was on it. If it is, then they should have permission from H.H to broadcast it and I doubt H.H would give them permission... but who I am and what do I know?
  • People! Enough with this miracle crap. Why have we become so obsessed with miracles. All I hear in this church is miracle this and miracle that! Is the Eucharist not enough of a miracle for you?

Shut up about miracles for once. HH is a great man but he most certainly will die like all of us. A doctor should get credit where credit is due, there is no need for this miracle crap. It is better to disregard all miracles than believe in one false one. For the love of GOD people!
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13005.msg153094#msg153094 date=1331780803]
    People! Enough with this miracle crap. Why have we become so obsessed with miracles. All I hear in this church is miracle this and miracle that! Is the Eucharist not enough of a miracle for you?

Shut up about miracles for once. HH is a great man but he most certainly will die like all of us. A doctor should get credit where credit is due, there is no need for this miracle crap. It is better to disregard all miracles than believe in one false one. For the love of GOD people!

THANK YOU!

ReturnOrthodoxy
    People! Enough with this miracle crap. Why have we become so obsessed with miracles. All I hear in this church is miracle this and miracle that! Is the Eucharist not enough of a miracle for you?

enough said
  • The Coptic Charismatic Orthodox Church

Agreed. However, you have to know that this is culture. People in Egypt are still obsessed with all the superstitions. You can not change a culture in one day!
  • Oh and Ioannes the Coptic Apologetic group misses you. We are losing our unity after we lost our leader lol
  • Its not the culture that obsesses over this nonsense. It is a perverted faith, these kind of miracle obsessions can lead to deceit.

Fr. Peter heads up the COA, not me.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13005.msg153101#msg153101 date=1331782436]
    Its not the culture that obsesses over this nonsense. It is a perverted faith, these kind of miracle obsessions can lead to deceit.

Your point is unsubstantiated.
  • Obsessing over miracles is not Orthodox. Our faith is not miracle based, therefore an obsession with miracles is a perversion not a reality.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13005.msg153107#msg153107 date=1331808089]
    Obsessing over miracles is not Orthodox. Our faith is not miracle based, therefore an obsession with miracles is a perversion not a reality.

Yes that's true.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13005.msg153107#msg153107 date=1331808089]
    Obsessing over miracles is not Orthodox. Our faith is not miracle based, therefore an obsession with miracles is a perversion not a reality.

Exactly! By the culture I mean the Egyptian (including muslims), not the Coptic christian or maybe it is not just the culture. Maybe it is the rural uneducated realm. It also gets worse when we grow up seeing some of our spiritual leaders perform miracles and demon exorcists publically on TV! Or maybe it is the Sunday school "teachers" who teach all kind of heresies without them even knowing. Who knows? Certainly not me!

And it was a joke. Hint the "lol" ;)
  • Sorry, I didn't mean to stir an argument about miracles. I was more concerned about his cancer condition rather than if it was miraculously removed anyway.
  • Miracles are good, but they are not what our faith should be based on. They can help to aid faith, but should not serve as a basis. In general, I only take a look at miracles that have been accepted widely by the church (after extensive research), other miracles which were relayed by clergy of high standing (for example, I would respect the telling of a miracle concerning Pope Kyrollos if relayed by Fr. Rophael or Bishop Mina Ava Mina), or miracles that have documentation to prove that they happened (for example, medical papers that say that a cancer was miraculously healed.)

We disgrace ourselves when we believe everything. I have recently seen a post on Facebook by some Copts who took a picture of the side of Pope Shenouda's head. He has some moles and freckles which they say looks like St. Mary. This is mass hysteria, not faith.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=13005.msg153119#msg153119 date=1331847662]
    (for example, I would respect the telling of a miracle concerning Pope Kyrollos if relayed by Fr. Rophael or Bishop Mina Ava Mina), or miracles that have documentation to prove that they happened (for example, medical papers that say that a cancer was miraculously healed.
    ReturnOrthodoxy

I agree with what you are saying but you have to have faith that these things are true if they are false it wont have any harm as someone said rumor. Rumors are rumors who cares.
    Like example a few years ago some from Egypt sent a shoe and it was wrapped in clear wrap he also sent a cross and a head piece that the monks wear under the colsuwa.
    They said this shoe was pope kyrollos's and it had henout on it they said that cross belonged to Tamav Ereny but we dont know if it's true or not but you have to have faith

++God bless everyone ++
  • It will have a harmful effect. Discernment is not just cool, it is a necessary virtue which, according to St. Antony the Great, i the most important virtue. If you do not test every spirit, what will happen when the Antichrist comes, and we are told to look at his miracles which he does in the name of "God." He has the power to deceive even the elect. If the elect do not use discernment from God, they will fall away too.

Faith is not unreasonable. Faith must be tested before accepted. I'll sell some Nike shoes and say that they were Fr. Bishoy Kamel's. That is not how it works. What reason do you have to believe that Pope. Kyrollos' shoes were given to you. He was a meager man, having no more than 3 shoes during his time as a patriarch (whenever they would get old, he would just repair them). Two of those shoes are on display in St. Mina's Monastery.

Like Abouna Athanasius Iskander says, "It is better not to believe any miracles, than to believe one miracle that is not true."

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • John 10:38: "but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe[a] that the Father is in Me, and I in Him.”  NKJV. Other translations, such as NIV, translate the works as "miracles."

My beloved, don't let this foolish talk hijack this blessed thread.

We all entreat God, to prolong the life of His Holiness Pope Shenouda.
  • meena,

Noone is denying miracles. We are denying foolish talk about miracles. Don't simply take one verse of the Bible and claim it to be the authority. Of course we believe the miracles Jesus did. I simply don't believe that St. Mary appeared to Pope Shenouda and healed him. I also don't believe that out of the very few shoes owned by Pope Kyrollos, an entire pair could be sent to one family.

It is called using your discernment. The Bible tells us to "test all spirits." These are simply lies told by people and they shame God. They make it easy for atheists to attack us. Your verse is completely irrelevant.

My beloved, it is not foolish talk. It is Orthodoxy. We believe in God, not in moles on the Pope's face being like St. Mary. I don't need to believe that St. Mary's face appeared on a peice of toast. That is foolish talk.

Take Care.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • Comparing the miracles that Christ did to rumors spread on the internet and our morbid fascination with every little thing that seems to be miraculous is absurd. The antichrist himself will deceive many with signs and lying wonders. If we are miracle obsessed, then we will fall right into his hands.

As I said previously, is not the Eucharist a great enough miracle for you? That is the purest and greatest miracle. We are not belittling real miralces, we are denouncing stupid rumors and an unhealthy fascination with "miracles."
  • Personally I think that there are two sides to this there are things that you could believe like st Mary appeared In Egypt but then there in you Nike shoes that abouna bishoy has worn thats not believable. When you see pope Cyril's shoe it just comes to you that it is. I mean there is going to be people that are like Thomas that didnt believe till he saw Jesus.
  • [quote author=marinacopt link=topic=13005.msg153148#msg153148 date=1331941953]
    Personally I think that there are two sides to this there are things that you could believe like st Mary appeared In Egypt but then there in you Nike shoes that abouna bishoy has worn thats not believable. When you see pope Cyril's shoe it just comes to you that it is. I mean there is going to be people that are like Thomas that didnt believe till he saw Jesus.

Doesn't matter. We not only see Christ but receive Him.
  • I see your point I'm sorry forgive me

:)
  • Guys My mom just read on Marmarkos channel that Pope Shenouda died. Is this real? Please answer me fast!
  • [quote author=PaNo5 link=topic=13005.msg153178#msg153178 date=1332003455]
    Guys My mom just read on Marmarkos channel that Pope Shenouda died. Is this real? Please answer me fast!

Yes, he reposed. :(
  • can anyone post a link for online information?
    thanks.
    may God rest his precious soul.
    remember us, our dear patriarch, before the throne of glory.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=13005.msg153183#msg153183 date=1332006509]
    can anyone post a link for online information?
    thanks.
    may God rest his precious soul.
    remember us, our dear patriarch, before the throne of glory.

It is all over the place.
    http://britishorthodox.org/3180/his-holiness-pope-shenouda-iii-dies-in-cairo/
    http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/36988/Egypt/Politics-/BREAKING-Pope-Shenouda-III-dies-at-.aspx
    http://news.yahoo.com/egypts-state-news-agency-says-pope-shenouda-iii-171715010.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17416429