Commemoration of saints

I was wondering how was the commemoration of saints written. I mean why do we mention those specific saints and not others? and also is there any order or was it written in a way that would fit with the melody?

Comments

• Hmm, good question.
    i have heard that when the commemoration is said, the saints mentioned do a procession around the church.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12860.msg151246#msg151246 date=1327960215]
    I was wondering how was the commemoration of saints written. I mean why do we mention those specific saints and not others? and also is there any order or was it written in a way that would fit with the melody?

Part of the ordering, I think, is by category - apostles, martyrs, saints, etc. (something like that). . .
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12860.msg151260#msg151260 date=1327991669]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12860.msg151246#msg151246 date=1327960215]

Part of the ordering, I think, is by category - apostles, martyrs, saints, etc. (something like that). . .

Do you know at least who wrote it or when?
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12860.msg151260#msg151260 date=1327991669]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12860.msg151246#msg151246 date=1327960215]

I thought it was ordered by significance in the church.
  • Significance in church? [quote author=peter_saad link=topic=12860.msg151306#msg151306 date=1328046155]
    [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12860.msg151260#msg151260 date=1327991669]

I thought it was ordered by significance in the church.

Significance in church? So who gets to decide which saint is 'more significance' than the other... I highly doubt that this is the way they are ordered.
  • Most of all, the pure, full of glory, evervirgin, the holy Mother of God, Saint
    Mary; who in truth, gave birth to God
    the Word. 
    And St John, the forerunner, Baptist
    and martyr; St. Stephen the
    archdeacon, the protomartyr; the
    beholder-of-God, Saint Mark, the
    evangelist, the apostle, and martyr.
  • In tasbeha - it goes from heavenly then by order from Abraham. Just simply reading it can tell you this.

1) Heavenly - Intercede on our behalf, O the Lady of us all the Mother of God, Mary the Mother of our Savior, that He may forgive us our sins.
    Until: Intercede on our behalf, O angelic hosts, and all the heavenly multitudes, that He may forgive us our sins.
    2) Order - Pray to the Lord on our behalf, my lords the fathers the patriarchs, Abraham Isaac and Jacob, that He may forgive us our sins.
    Until: Pray to the Lord on our behalf, O our holy and righteous father, Abba (…) the Bishop (Metropolitan), that He may forgive us our sins.

In the liturgy - it goes from St. Mary then St. John the Baptist then the people who protected/defended the faith (St. Stephen, St. Mark, St. Theophilus) then it starts commemorating the famous monks/fathers.

1) St. Mary & St. John - Most of all, the pure, full-of- glory, ever-virgin, holy Theotokos, Saint Mary, who truly gave birth to God the Logos. & And Saint John the forerunner, Baptist, and martyr
    2) Defenders of the Faith - Saint Stephen the archdeacon and protomartyr
    Until: and the two hundred at Ephesus.
    3) Monks/Fathers - our righteous father, the great Abba Anthony
    Until: And Abba Abraam the Bishop of Fayom and Giza.