Holy Synod Insists on 40th Anniversary Celebration of Pope Shenouda's Papacy

http://www.christian-dogma.com/vb/showthread.php?t=145279

Th Holy Synod has called for the celebration of the 40th anniversary of Pope Shenouda III's Papacy, after H.H. cancels it due to events in Maspeero. It will happen, and later, H.H. will travel for his treatment in the U.S.

Comments

• I thought the Holy Synod can not make a decision without the Pope's approval.

Did the Pope change his mind?
  • [quote author=Christs' servant link=topic=12521.msg146926#msg146926 date=1320195906]
    I thought the Holy Synod can not make a decision without the Pope's approval.

really? If so isnt that sort of like infallability? Also, in the case that a patriarch of a see is in heresy (HYPOTHETICALLY), the holy synod of that see must have the right to be able to depose him as patriarch :)
  • I heard he cancelled it because of the 2 bishops who passed away? As it is in the 40 days of mourning.
  • [quote author=Timothym link=topic=12521.msg146933#msg146933 date=1320207527]
    [quote author=Christs' servant link=topic=12521.msg146926#msg146926 date=1320195906]
    I thought the Holy Synod can not make a decision without the Pope's approval.

really? If so isnt that sort of like infallability? Also, in the case that a patriarch of a see is in heresy (HYPOTHETICALLY), the holy synod of that see must have the right to be able to depose him as patriarch :)

I think am wrong... I just assumed that since the Pope can not take a decision without the Holy Synod's approval, then they can't make decision without his approval. 
  • I don't get why does this decision need a Synod decree to happen or not?! This is not a Church matter. The Bishops, out of their love they want to celebrate the occasion. The Pope out of his love to the people and what has been happening, does not want other to worry about this.