The Ark of the Covenant

Hi all,
so i've been wondering about this sacred part of the old testament- the ark of the covenant. i have a few qs, and i'd love to hear some of your thoughts/inquiries about this topic.
does our church believe that the Ethiopian Church is in possession of the ark?

does the destruction of Solomon's temple, which had contained the ark, perhaps signify that it is obsolete, being that it was after Christ's coming (and Christ is our new temple)?

why were only priests of the Levi tribe allowed to carry it?

i was watching a video about the ark and it mentioned a story of a man who was carrying the ark. the man (probably a priest) simply put his hand on the ark because he thought it would tilt over and was suddenly consumed by fire. i don't know how credible this story is or if it's legend, but why would God do that?

why was there manna in the ark? what's the significance of putting bread in it? i read somewhere that if represented Christ as the bread of life. however, if bread eventually rots, then wouldn't it rot in the ark?

Comments

• Although I don't know much, I'll tell you what I learned in pre-servants.
    The Ark of the Covenant contained 3 things: The Ten Commandments, The Rod of Aaron, and the Manna.
    These are all symbols - Actually almost everything in the tent was a symbol (Ex. The bronze basin in-front of the holies (NOT holy of holies) - we wash ourselves (Baptism) before we can partake of the Eucharist.)
    Ten Commandments - Jesus is The Law
    Rod of Aaron(Which Blossomed) - Mary conceived and gave birth to Christ.
    Manna - Jesus is the Bread of Life. (Now in the story - God did make the manna have worms in it if you kept it a day. BUT if you collected on Friday for the sabbath it's a different story - so if God is able to make it last another day - he surely can make it last as a testimony for what he did for the children of Israel.)

The priests of Levi were the only people allowed to do the service of the holies - but they couldn't touch the ark - Rather there were two golden poles carrying it. And the reason they were the only people allowed to do the service was, because God had chosen them for the service (Which is why not anybody can be a priest.)

In the story of the man who touched the ark - the man touched the ark against the commandment of God  - God had said at the time - THAT NO ONE touch the ark (Reason for the two poles). I agree it was good intentions, but most punishments in the OT are very harsh compared to today's times.
  • Thanks! all of that was really helpful.

[quote author=Abanoub737 link=topic=12269.msg144150#msg144150 date=1314996562]
    In the story of the man who touched the ark - the man touched the ark against the commandment of God  - God had said at the time - THAT NO ONE touch the ark (Reason for the two poles). I agree it was good intentions, but most punishments in the OT are very harsh compared to today's times.

that's what makes me wonder sometimes. It's the same God in both testaments. why was God harsher with punishments back then? i have to say though, we obviously don't know the whole story regarding that man who touched the ark, so it's not fair to generalize. the man was probably testing God's seriousness when he said no one can touch the ark.

thanks again.
  • Actually I heard someone talk about why the OT is harsher - Because at the time we were like Kids and God had to make sure we don't do whatever we want. Compared to now - we're adults and we know whats right vs. whats wrong. (I don't know the credibility of that - if I find something about it I'll tell you). Also actually the NT was still harsh at the beginning in the story in Acts of the two people who sold most of what they had, but kept some of there possessions and when they lied to Paul (or Peter not sure) they died on the spot.
  • That's true. in the old testament, people were more uncivil in their ways (like having multiple wives, worshipping idols, incest,). but now, i think it's fair to say that people are more educated.
    [quote author=Abanoub737 link=topic=12269.msg144177#msg144177 date=1315054833]
    Also actually the NT was still harsh at the beginning in the story in Acts of the two people who sold most of what they had, but kept some of there possessions and when they lied to Paul (or Peter not sure) they died on the spot.

it was Peter  :). but still, the New Testament presents a very compassionate God with arms wide open.