emotions

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Nofri!
There is a common problem: people (and I) feel very emotional at Divine Liturgy. Some people feel like crying, expressing anger or other emotions. What should poeple do?

Comments

• I am not sure what you mean. Why would people want to express anger?
  • [quote author=henrik.hank link=topic=11515.msg138738#msg138738 date=1306771302]
    Nofri!
    There is a common problem: people (and I) feel very emotional at Divine Liturgy. Some people feel like crying, expressing anger or other emotions. What should poeple do?

Why would you want to express anger? What church have you been going to? The Liturgy isn't made for making your emotions high. It is for prayer. It is only in the Protestant churches where this happens. You are not at a drama class. This is the liturgy, you are talking to your Creator nothing more and nothing less. Emotions are deceitful at times, don't act on your emotions. You act on what you know is right which is based on the Bible
  • You are glorifying your Lord the whole liturgy; that is all. The only emotion you should feel is joy =]
    EDIT: If you're talking about emotions brought in before the liturgy concerning external events; aka you were angry earlier that day, or week, or year, church is not a place to let out these emotions. Church is a way to deflate these emotions. Being in the House of the Lord you can silently give a prayer for what is troubling you, pay attention to the Liturgy, find out how great God is, and I guarantee you will feel less angry. But yes, just pray.
  • [quote author=liftmyheart link=topic=11515.msg138741#msg138741 date=1306773990]
    You are glorifying your Lord the whole liturgy; that is all. The only emotion you should feel is joy =]
    EDIT: If you're talking about emotions brought in before the liturgy concerning external events; aka you were angry earlier that day, or week, or year, church is not a place to let out these emotions. Church is a way to deflate these emotions. Being in the House of the Lord you can silently give a prayer for what is troubling you, pay attention to the Liturgy, find out how great God is, and I guarantee you will feel less angry. But yes, just pray.

Joy is not an emotion. You are in the 2nd stage of development, without the realization of joy not being an emotion, you cannot enter the third stage. Private message me, and I'll give you a lot more information. Joy is not to be felt, joy is different than happiness.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11515.msg138739#msg138739 date=1306772076]
    I am not sure what you mean. Why would people want to express anger?

Because I am a human who can get angry.
  • In the liturgy? If so, you shouldn't be taking communion.
  • Just because we CAN get angry doesn't mean we should. Indeed we should prayerfully strive against anger.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11515.msg138815#msg138815 date=1306880035]
    Just because we CAN get angry doesn't mean we should. Indeed we should prayerfully strive against anger.

but how to do it?