from the hatred i have felt from coptic people just cause i use to be muslim

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
i have become an atheist from the hatred from the talking about me behind my back from people telling others to stay away from me just cause i use to be muslim

i am so hurt and feel so worthless cause of this christanity is not racism but that is all i got from everybody

Comments

• What's your religion have anything to do with how people treat you  ??? ? Or, let me rephrase that, why should your faith be affected by how people treat you? The Lord told you himself that your path would not be easy. Do you want eternal salvation, or momentary happiness? If you need acceptance, I accept you; I find you very strong and brave and smart for converting, and courageous for going through what you are going through. However, do not let small obstacles deter you completely; do not lose everything you have fought for.

So what if people don't accept you? ""If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." John 15:18.
    Jesus, the great, our Lord, and our King, was hated. What makes you think you are so much better than Jesus that people won't hate, and accept you? You must deal with it, my friend. You must not let people phase you; if you are only concerned with your salvation and your spirituality not even an army can change your internal happiness. I don't know how to put it into any better words than this : put your pride, emotions, feelings, trust, hurt; all that, put it in God, and watch him work wonders.

Pray for me
  • I am confused about your stance, Bigeee. Christians or Muslims aren't "races", and you are right that Christianity absolutely has absolutely NOTHING to do with racism. But I don't understand how you decided from this to be an atheist. It surely can't be God's fault that some people who claim to follow Him treated you in a way that reflects poorly on their religion in your mind, can it? I don't think it's healthy to make rash decisions in anger, though I have also done it too (and regretted it a lot later on).

Anyway, I don't care that you used to be Muslim or are now an atheist or whatever. You are in my prayers. Just please remember that God wants you back, even if it seems like no one else does.
  • Bigeee,

I understand you are going through a lot right now. Please understand that what people are doing to you is not Christian, but you must be strong and put up with it. You can't say, "Well here is the cross I'm honored to carry, and well... I'm throwing it off because its too hard to carry".

Christianity is a narrow path full of obstacles set about, that we can overcome only by the grace of God. Though this path is full of struggles it leads to eternal glory, and even while we are walking down the path we should fear no evil for he is with us. Don't expect that now that you have become Christian, it will be easy. I can tell you that the closer you get to God, the more obstacles you face. These can either be a source of joy (sometimes mixed with sadness) if we take them the right way, or a source of anger and sadness. Ultimately, you are Christian because of God, not because of others. Many of the saints experienced persecution sometimes unto death such as the apostles, St. Mina, St. George, St. Theodore, St. Marina, St. Demiana, St. Barbara, St. Polycarp, St. Moses the strong, Isaiah the prophet, Jeremiah the prophet, St. John the Baptist, and the list goes on and on.

I understand how you feel, but we are not guaranteed acceptance, in fact we are more likely to be rejected by others than accepted. I am also not saying what others are doing is right. In fact it is very wrong, and you should probably talk with your Father of Confession about it, but rejection by others is not a reason to stop believing in God.

I personally love having you on the site, and I ask that you don't let others upset you.
  • If you truly converted and tasted the beauty of Orthodoxy, such a thought would hardly cross your mind. Converts are usually the most steadfast in the faith.

There are a few muslim converts at my own church and no one treats them any differently than they would anyone else. I am saddened to hear that this is not the case where you come from. Be a light to them and change them. I do not think it is a coincidence that you, a muslim convert, were placed in a community (according to you) that is judgmental of muslims. How can they hate someone who is the earliest to church, who goes to all church activities, who serves the needy, etc.? I am not telling you to do these things before them to "win" them over. But when they see your good deeds they will glorify your Father in heaven and change their mind about muslim converts. I don't think you will really become an atheist; you seem too smart for that and God has a plan for you.

God be with you, Bigeee.
  • I think it is just some people trying to solve your problem the wrong way. They need to get closer to you by understanding how you feel. I don't think they understand. They don't hate. People who hate have an obstacle they have to remove, not you surely.
  • Ioannes, this thread is calling you.

Anyway, while the people who are doing this to you are commanded not to treat you the way they are, this fact isn't flashing across their mind as they are doing it. It's like any other sin- often, you just do it without thinking. So the flaw here is in the people themselves- not the God they represent, nor His commandments. You made such a difficult, yet right, decision in converting; don't let a group of [insert plural derogatory word here] ruin it for you.
  • Hi Bigeee,

I'm still supporting you. As far as I'm concerned, when you converted to be a Christian, that was the only proof you needed to say who you were. As for others, they are protecting themselves from what they precieve to be shame and their own fears. But you have to search yourselve to see if any of their fears are well founded or not. For instance, your name does'nt sound mature. But anything can be corrected.

I pray that you are able to be brave first, and and then srong in GOD'S love Bigeee.
  • bigeee the Lord could allow this situation for a while to test your endurance and your sincerity as well as others. We usually suffer for Christ's sake and we are blessed by Him for that as He promised. Is our pain more difficult than what he has endured to save us?

The current occurrence of conflicts and acts of terrorism between many members of your previous background and Christianity in many places, especially when like nowadays what's happening and lived by the Coptic Orthodox Christians in Egypt and the serious injustice they suffer is not to ease the situation.

One way to accept the wrong and inadequate reaction of others in this, though after knowing you more it is totally wrong to refuse your friendship, is by trying to understand their fear and caution that has been accumulating in their minds during years of experiencing injustice. Many of them were victims that escaped the unjust environment they lived in by immigration, just as till now many sheikhs in Egypt are telling Christians everyday to leave and go abroad if they cannot accept to live in their terms as degraded citizens.

Give people a chance to know you better and time to trust you more. Remember also: you go to church for God not for the people or for priests. Pray that the Lord will solve this situation as you know He is able to change what's bad into something good. Pray also that you become a better Christian by learning more and attending more prayers and liturgies and that you should share in church activities and charities. My advice do not react negatively by instinct to the negative attitudes but even try to show genuine compassion, love and respect. There is a big part on others to change and also a part on your side. Do not jump immediately to the top just take it step by step, also I think you are not yet independent since you're still studying, and you're still living with your family aren't you?

Nevertheless, be sure God loves ALL His children.

Psalm 91
    14 “Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
            I will set him on high, because he has known My name.
    15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
            I will be with him in trouble;
            I will deliver him and honor him.
    16 With long life I will satisfy him,
            And show him My salvation.”

Good luck and be happy.

GBU
  • God does not cease to exist merely because you are having troubles.
  • Dear bigeee,

I'd like to tell you that I think you are loved by most people here and that we care about you, otherwise nobody would bother to answer you at all, wouldn't we?

GBU
  • [quote author=bigeee link=topic=11491.msg138403#msg138403 date=1306110791]
    i have become an atheist from the hatred from the talking about me behind my back from people telling others to stay away from me just cause i use to be muslim

i am so hurt and feel so worthless cause of this christanity is not racism but that is all i got from everybody

Coptic people have a difficulty understanding the difference between culture and religion, I do not go their for the culture (obviously) I go there for salvation. I am sure there are some who talk behind my back, I know I am looked at as somewhat radical or over-zealous, but I would rather be that then coming to church worshipping the culture thinking I am worshipping God. Same in your case brother, don't get caught up on people's stupidity. Go there for salvation not for the people.
  • [quote author=bigeee link=topic=11491.msg138403#msg138403 date=1306110791]

Do not see their actions as representative of their faith, but of human weakness. God does not talk behind your back, only hypocrites do that. You have found acceptance in God, keep working to please him, not other humans.

We are all praying for you,

From Daniel
  • Ekhrestos anesty
    Dear DanieM,
    Thanks very much for your opinions. I agree with them, and would like to add that the Holy Spirit works subtly in the Church, so if anybody thinks they shouldn't because of mere other people then that's a blatant deceit, as Ioannes put it clearly before
    Oujai
  • What I mean to say is that he should not judge the power of the Church by the petty actions of some people.
  • Also, keep in mind, they are human like you.

You may have thought of negative things of Christians, which after your conversion, you renounced.

If you look at the example of St. Paul, he was an accessory to murder and a persecutor of Christians.  He was distrusted by the Christian Communities.  He won them over.
  • Bigeee, I hope this will resonate with you as it has with me in times of trouble and doubt. From the Psalms of David the prophet and king:

Praise the Lord, O my soul. I will praise the Lord in my life. I will sing praises to my God as long as I exist. Do not trust in princes, nor in the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. Their spirit shall go forth, and they shall return to their earth. In that day all their thoughts shall perish.

Blessed is he whose helper is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord his God, who made heaven and earth, the sea and all things in them, who keeps truth forever, who executes judgment for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry.

The Lord looses the bound; the Lord sets up the broken down. The Lord gives wisdom to the blind; the Lord loves the righteous. The Lord preserves the strangers; He relieves the orphan and the widow, but he will destroy the way of sinners. The Lord shall reign forever, and your God, O Zion, from generation to generation. ALLELUIA.

+++
  • Dear bigeee,

I've watched a program on Truth TV that was very touching. There were many guest converts to Christianity from Arab countries who finely spoke and it showed how strong is their faith. A good singer and musician called Michel (he isn't converted, he's from a Christian family, just by name with weak faith) explained that Christ teaches us how to behave with converts, how they are welcomed by God the Father with extreme joy and love. He explained it's very clear in the parable of the 'return of the prodigal son'. So, the convert is like the prodigal son who comes back to God and the elder brother is the one who has been staying at home with Him since birth, and how God instructed His house to make this great feast for the saved returned son while the other son reacted badly as he didn't at first understand his Father's attitude.

Let us all behave adequately and show joy, trust and love to converts who are baptized and have received the Holy Spirit. Christians from birth, do not ever think you can judge or show prejudice to any convert: it's a big sin. No one is greater or could be better than our Lord: He accepts all converts with a heavenly feast and they make Him VERY happy. Converts have a strong faith, they are very convinced people. Cast your fears away, these are from the devil. If there's something wrong about a converted person the Lord will expose things for us, but we must seriously try to help them in their difficult path, it is clearly a sin if we show a negative attitude.

Furthermore we have the Lord's commands in the first place, that is the duty to preach His Gospel and to bring back to Him more people to be saved, instead of rejecting them. How many of us comply to His divine commands?

To all the sister and brother converts: the parable of the prodigal son also showed that you may encounter this wrong attitude from the Christians by birth, we're all weak human beings. Just trust that the Lord is very happy and that he fully understands all parties. Our Father who is in heaven will eventually guide everybody to solve together any annoying situations.

GBU
  • [quote author=John_S2000 link=topic=11491.msg138756#msg138756 date=1306793691]
    Dear bigeee,

I've watched a program on Truth TV that was very touching. There were many guest converts to Christianity from Arab countries who finely spoke and it showed how strong is their faith. A good singer and musician called Michel (he isn't converted, he's from a Christian family, just by name with weak faith) explained that Christ teaches us how to behave with converts, how they are welcomed by God the Father with extreme joy and love. He explained it's very clear in the parable of the 'return of the prodigal son'. So, the convert is like the prodigal son who comes back to God and the elder brother is the one who has been staying at home with Him since birth, and how God instructed His house to make this great feast for the saved returned son while the other son reacted badly as he didn't at first understand his Father's attitude.

Let us all behave adequately and show joy, trust and love to converts who are baptized and have received the Holy Spirit. Christians from birth, do not ever think you can judge or show prejudice to any convert: it's a big sin. No one is greater or could be better than our Lord: He accepts all converts with a heavenly feast and they make Him VERY happy. Converts have a strong faith, they are very convinced people. Cast your fears away, these are from the devil. If there's something wrong about a converted person the Lord will expose things for us, but we must seriously try to help them in their difficult path, it is clearly a sin if we show a negative attitude.

Furthermore we have the Lord's commands in the first place, that is the duty to preach His Gospel and to bring back to Him more people to be saved, instead of rejecting them. How many of us comply to His divine commands?

To all the sister and brother converts: the parable of the prodigal son also showed that you may encounter this wrong attitude from the Christians by birth, we're all weak human beings. Just trust that the Lord is very happy and that he fully understands all parties. Our Father who is in heaven will eventually guide everybody to solve together any annoying situations.

GBU

You are wise. Show joy, trust, and love, not feel.
  • One of the bad or negative aspects of our Coptic Orthodox Church is that what unites us sometimes IS not our love for holiness, or Jesus Christ in fact. Its Egypt.

A lot of Coptic Christians, outside Egypt, tend to use the Church as anything BUT a house of prayer - I cannot generalise, but i think its clear.

I noticed something when I went to the French Catholic Church.

They too have a social life - just like us. However, there is a different spirit within the Church, and WITH the people there... NO ONE GOES TO THE FRENCH CATHOLIC CHURCH IN FRANCE TO SPEAK FRENCH, or to hang around other French people. Do they?? They are all already IN France.

But, being orthodox, and from Egypt, there's a sense of national unity - of fun, of basically - Egypt. I don't particularly like this about my Orthodox Church.

The fraternity in the Catholic Church is great. It is a real fraternity indeed. We don't have this. We just have Coptic Christians who found themselves outside Egypt who end up in the Church and have NO idea about their faith.

Do you not think that problems will happen between people in the Orthodox Church??

Do you realise that the Coptic Orthodox Church in Paris has even guard dogs and body guards to stop people from arguing (from the amount of arguing and fights that go on there)???

The Holy Spirit is meant to empower us to love, to be tolerant, to be kind.. that's if WE WELCOME the Holy Spirit in our lives - NOT EGYPT!!! Egypt doesn't empower you to love your enemies. So whilst some people in the Church feel attached to Egypt, there are a few who, through engaging in the sacraments, feel empowered to do and behave in a Christian way.

But ultimately, your christian life should not depend on others.. nor your relationship with God. You have to be independent of that.

If you do seek some fraternity or fellowship with other Orthodox Christians - maybe ask a priest to commence a Bible study class - and from there, those who DO attend will indeed be more interested in the spiritual fruits of our Church rather than the cultural fruits.