egypt and europe

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Nofri!
the coptic church talks about things happening in Egypt but not so much about things happening here in Europe. Does this mean that you are not a church for Europeans? I am confused. you say I am welcome to join the church but you only speak about Egypt. I can not join a church who doesn't talk much about Europe. what do you think?

Comments

• There is probably a lot of reasons for that. The major reason is that Egypt is where Coptic Christianity started and most common, you find way less Coptic Christians in Europe then Egypt, and a lot of Coptic Christians are Egyptian(for example my church 90%+ of us you can trace back to Egypt). Also I don't really think there's as much persecution in Europe compared to Egypt. So our church is centered around Egypt, just like certain religions (Ex. Hindu - India) is centered around a place.
  • [quote author=henrik.hank link=topic=11432.msg137883#msg137883 date=1305374846]
    Nofri!
    the coptic church talks about things happening in Egypt but not so much about things happening here in Europe. Does this mean that you are not a church for Europeans? I am confused. you say I am welcome to join the church but you only speak about Egypt. I can not join a church who doesn't talk much about Europe. what do you think?

What do you mean the Coptic Church? Are you talking about Coptic Channels, figures?? I am not sure what you mean. Egypt is obviously the center of all conversation because of all the persecution.  And what does talking about Europe have to do with joining a church? I am very confused. No one talks about Australia, the US, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, Fiji and anywhere else there are Coptic Churches.  And if the reason to "talk" about a region is because of persecution, Thank God no one talks about everywhere else. I hope I answered something but please clarify your post.
  • [quote author=henrik.hank link=topic=11432.msg137883#msg137883 date=1305374846]
    Nofri!

I think that you need to go read the Bible and pray, there you will find answers, because the things you are saying on this forum are absurd and ridiculous.
  • You are welcome to join the Coptic Church, but please try to leave your assumptions at the door. There is nothing wrong with the Coptic Church being concerned with Egyptian issues, because that's where the vast majority of Copts come from, and the current situation with the Diaspora is very new, so most still have very real ties with Egypt. Think a little bit before you post. You'll receive a lot less aversive replies that way.
  • I still don't understand why you are asking your question! Are you trying to find an excuse for yourself to not join the church?
  • [quote author=Abanoub737 link=topic=11432.msg137899#msg137899 date=1305390663]
    There is probably a lot of reasons for that. The major reason is that Egypt is where Coptic Christianity started and most common, you find way less Coptic Christians in Europe then Egypt, and a lot of Coptic Christians are Egyptian(for example my church 90%+ of us you can trace back to Egypt). Also I don't really think there's as much persecution in Europe compared to Egypt. So our church is centered around Egypt, just like certain religions (Ex. Hindu - India) is centered around a place.

what about those Europeans?
    [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=11432.msg137901#msg137901 date=1305391604]
    And what does talking about Europe have to do with joining a church? I am very confused. No one talks about Australia, the US, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, Fiji and anywhere else there are Coptic Churches.  And if the reason to "talk" about a region is because of persecution, Thank God no one talks about everywhere else. I hope I answered something but please clarify your post.

here i sweden the government hate christianity but the coptic church doesn't talk much about it. they rather talk about egypt only.  i will have to ask them about this.
    what i am saying is that i will still be a swedish dude even if i convert to a non-european church. then i still would like to talk about europe and its problem
    [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=11432.msg137910#msg137910 date=1305395028]
    I still don't understand why you are asking your question! Are you trying to find an excuse for yourself to not join the church?

i just don't want to be a copt.
  • Dear Henrik,

i am happy to see that someone from Sweden is on our forum :) you are very welcome here.  you are right that Coptic Christians speak a lot about Egypt.  As mentioned above, the people have a lot of love for their homeland.  Due to the political change in Egypt at the moment many Copts thoughts and worries are centred in Egypt now, much more than usual.  The Copts in Egypt are suffering a lot at the moment and for many of us our families and friends are there.. so we are  very worried and saddened with them.  Please read comments in this context, people are upset and getting things off their chests.  +sometimes we all need to do this.

i am a Copt who was born in a European country+have lived there all my life.  i love Europe and Europeans.. to be honest i love all countries and so i am very happy that you have heard about our church.  i pray that one day our churches will be filled with people from all countries :) if u ever go to our annual Coptic European Conference you will hear the Liturgy done in many languages French, English, German, Dutch, Italian, Greek, Coptic and Arabic.. mayb even in Swedish as i know some of the youth from Sweden come too! it is very beautiful like that.

anyway, i hope you can stay around a little while and see past some of the things you find difficult to understand.  there is much goodness, depth and beauty in the Orthodox church. ofcourse we are all sinners but what the church itself teaches is wonderful and true.  +God is working on our souls, to purify us and help us grow into His image.  The church has tried to keep hold of all that Christ taught and His way, so that every part of the church is just as God made it. i hope that u may see what i see when i think of the our Church :)

wishing you every good thing,
    your sister in Christ
  • hi, i am european, and people in my church talk about european news/politics and are very welcoming.
    you should take the advice of jerusalem 2, who is a very cool and wise person  :)